Chimney liner question?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
If you can see a gap, the insulation will come through it. You need to fill it. Have you thought about using the Chamber- Tech cement that I suggested?

Well yes i can see a gap at the top. But i dont know about fifteen feet down. I really dont want to pull the liner out if. Dont have to. I mean conzidering my chimney is already for the most part internal will it make that much of a difference

Alzo if i did make oval. What would that do to draft. I want the best i can Get. I know in heating and cooling we use it all the time and it makes no difference. Guess it really shouldnt do thamuch i guess. I still think ifi just pour it down it would be ok.

Thats not whAt i said!! I said making it oval. I know that.

My question again is should i just stuf rock wool down as much as i can and see how it works. Im just tryi g to monimize creosote build up to the max.

Rock wool is not effective as insulation if you "Stuff" it. It needs to be loose to insulate. It's OK to stuff it in the bottom to keep poured insulation in only if you don't need insulation there for NFPA 211.

Well i dont k ow what to do now it looks like anyway i go i will have take the liner out to do it the right way. If pour your suupse to have spacerswhich i don t have on. And if i wrap ill have oval it. This is why i ask the question if i just pourit down as is do uou think it will make a difference in mu setup. I am not worried about the fireproofing aspect as the chimney is in decent shape. Just looking for better resultswith creosote build up

Sorry bout the bad spelling as i am on my phone.

Ok if someone could answer the question. Is it really worth pulling out? Or should i just pour the stuff down and just call it a day

If it were me I'd just try it without any insulation for a season and see what you get.

That might be an option i guess huh. I just wanted to do everythi g i should. But i think u might be right and just try it. Maybe just put some rockwool in there. I think thats the best answer ive gotten. Ill just se how it goes. I dont mind buying the pour and doing it. Its just iwanted to make sure that it wouldnt be an issue with not hqving the spacers. I dont think having the spacers will make a dramatic difference. I just wanted to make all the adjustments for the new stove. So whatever ill have to make a decision. Ill probably just pour it down for the heck of it. Not going to make a huge deal out of it.

If clearances aren't a concern and everything is in good shape, I'd build a block-off at the bottom, pour loose perlite to the top, and call it a day. The perlite finds its way all around if you shake the liner as you pour it in. It will go a long way towards improving your draft, making your chimney more safe, and reducing creosote.

Just my 2 cents.

Thank you very much. Thats what im doing and thats final!!!!! Lol ill do that and call it a day. Finally have my decision. Haha

Im having trouble finding the perlite. Where can i get this stuff

Well i went to the blaze king dealer today to see it in action. He said i shouldnt waist mytime on insulating. But im not all sold on that. I mght just try it a year and see what happens. What do u guys think? I dont want to cheap out.

ecocavalier02 said:
Well i went to the blaze king dealer today to see it in action. He said i shouldnt waist mytime on insulating. But im not all sold on that. I mght just try it a year and see what happens. What do u guys think? I dont want to cheap out.

You already got the answer:

jtp10181 said:
The insulation is not primarily about improving draft, how many times do we have to explain it this year?

http://www.aer-online.com/aerpage.phtml?page=ar-vent1

Read this article, there is a page 2 link at the bottom of it.

Shari

Shari said:
You already got the answer:

Shari
It's not the answer he is shopping for.

Then I must be confused as I thought he was asking about insulating. Sorry.

Shari

Shari said:
Then I must be confused as I thought he was asking about insulating. Sorry.

Shari
Sorry, that's not what I meant. He is shopping for a particular answer that he wants to hear. Eventually someone will come along that thinks like him and tell him what he wants to hear.

I am going up against the same situation with the insert I want to install. Going to fight the flex flue through with the insulation. Not worth losing the house over fighting with the liner for a few hours...

k3c4forlife said:
I am going up against the same situation with the insert I want to install. Going to fight the flex flue through with the insulation. Not worth losing the house over fighting with the liner for a few hours...

Same situation here. In our case, we will not jeopardize our home for any savings (on insulation or installation). No, we don't have our stove installed yet but our piggy bank is building from, of all things, something I personally helped 5 of our neighbors with. Maybe we won't get our stove installed this season but when it goes in it will go in right (insulated ss liner, block-off plate, etc.) so when the stove is stoked at night I can sleep peacefully. We lost a beloved family member in a house fire (not stove related) and I will take all precautionary steps installing our stove.

Shari

YeH so i guess the insulation is primarily for safety reasons. I wasng in the first place even doing it for the safety reasons. Iwas just doing it for performance reasons crosote build up and sttuff like that. But like yhe deAler said the cat should tKe care of that. So im going to try it without for a year. I was actuAlly just standing in my chimney working on it. And it wasnt even cold in there. I think it stays pretty warm in the chimney as its for the most part internal

Well i really still want to insulate just for the heck of it. And i would like to go with the perlite, but i cannot seem to find it online. Is this a dry pour? any help would be great.

Status
Not open for further replies.