Chimney Liner question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

csierotnik

Dec 10, 2010
Syracuse, NY
I have a chimney that has 2 flues. One is a 9†by 9†and right nect to it is a 9†by 13â€. My furnace is vented out the 9 by 9 so I ran an insulated 6 inche ss liner down the 9 by 13 flue. I noticed that there was a whole in the back of the 9 by 13 flue like someting was being vented there but I am not sure what it wold be. I am positive the furnace is vented through the other flue. Is it ok to have run the liner down that flue.
Any opinions would be helpful
Thanks
CJ
Also do you recomend drilling self taping screws throught stove pipe connectors-even if they fit together very snugly?

ss said:
I have a chimney that has 2 flues. One is a 9†by 9†and right ss to it is a 9†by 13â€. My furnace is vented out the 9 by 9 so I ran an insulated 6 ss ss liner down the 9 by 13 flue. I noticed that there was a whole in the back of the 9 by 13 flue like someting was being vented there but I am not sure what it wold be. I am positive the furnace is vented through the other flue. Is it ok to have run the liner down that flue.
Any opinions would be helpful
Thanks
CJ
Also do you recomend drilling self taping screws throught stove pipe conssors-even if they fit together very snugly?

CSIEROTNIK:

The "hole" in the back of the 9X13 flue could be a "cleanout" access, or perhaps a thimble from a previous appliance that was vented through that flue. The opening perhaps was to service something that was removed, or was a planned appliance that didn't happen. Cleanouts were (are) required for masonry chimneys servicing something other than a fireplace opening.

If the pipe is to vent a freestanding wood-stove and you are using it to connect the appliance flue collar to a "factory-built chimney" (as is double-wall or triple wall chimney), and if that pipe is single-wall, then each joint of single-wall pipe must be secured with 3 sheet metal screws.

Unused openings in the chimney must be sealed with masonry to its wall thickness. However, depending on your set-up, the unused opening could be converted to an "air tight insulated clean out." In either case, hole can't be left open

Well I am going to look further into what the whole might be connected to. Thanks for the replies. What would happen if I didn't cover that whole if it is nothing?
Thanks
CJ

csierotnik said:
Well I am going to look further into what the whole might be connected to. Thanks for the replies. What would happen if I didn't cover that whole if it is nothing?
Thanks
CJ

Probably nothing - OR - maybe it will allow the flue to cool faster and you have more creosote than you should - OR - maybe (I hope you don't) you'll have a chimney fire and the hole could allow fire to breach and spread to the structure. I'd take the time to plug it.

It's ok to run the liner down the 9x13 flue. Get it completely cleaned first. If the flue tiles are not in perfect condition, consider insulating the liner. The hole might have been an old stove connection. Brick up the hole and forget about it. If you can't brick it up due to access, definitely insulate the liner.

Thats the problem is the access to cover the whole. I insulated the liner with 1/2 thick insulation kit.
I am going to see if I can figure out what it was/is for
Thanks for the replies

I have found that both the furnace and the hot water heater are vented in the chimney in the basement. So I still am not sure of what that whole was that I saw.

water heater is performing just fine, I haven't noticed any difference, but like I said the water heater is vented in the chimney in the basement.
I have 2 CO detectors

Status
Not open for further replies.