Chimney Liner requirements

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

forya

Feb 18, 2010
Bucks County Pa
Does anyone know if Chimney liner requirements are state regulated, or locally regulated in Pa? And does anyone know if it is required in Pa to go all the way up a chimney with a 4" liner?

From what I know it depends on the state and in some cases town regulations. The best thing to do in this case would be to check with your local building inspector to see what the requirements are for installing your liner. I recommend running the liner to the top, IMO it is a little easier to clean and you dont have to worry about ash collecting inside the masonary chimney.

Also depends on the condition of the inside of the chimney. If the clay liner has any damage, you should do a reline which will be much safer. Harman offers two different ways to run the liner in the chimney per the owners manual.

1) Damper Install- Running the liner only a portion of the way up the chimney, capping the top and sealing the damper with fiberglass insulation.

2) Full Reline- Running the liner to top of the chimney, capping the top, and sealing around the liner at the top of chimney and at the damper.

From my experience most towns would rather see the complete reline.

Status
Not open for further replies.