Chimney liner ?'s

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

BAllen83

Nov 2, 2013
Ohio
Long time reader first time member. I am in the process of replacing my useless fireplace insert with a free standing stove. My question is....I am on a very tight budjet and can't afford a stainless flex chimney liner kit. I have access to steel tubing via my job and have acquired a 12' piece of 6.250 O.D. x 6.000 I.D. with a 1/8 wall thickness. Now I'm wandering if I can use this piece of tubing to line my chimney with to get optimal useage of the wood stove. The tube is made of grade 1026 steel and has been annealed through an annealing furnace. Please help as I can use this tube and only have about $25 in my whole liner. I know people are going to say "go with stainless and only stainless" but like I said I can't afford it...need an alternative.

Thanks, Brandon

How would you support this pipe?, connect it to the stove? what stove?

Last edited:
Pipe will be supported at the top by attaching it to the concrete chimney cap. Total weight of pipe will be around 75lbs. I have had a professional welder from the shop I work at make me a steel box that will slip over my clay flue liner (but not touch it) and will rest on the concrete cap. The pipe will then be secured to the box and box to concrete once it is in place.

Sounds like you have already committed to this decision.

I have put a lot of thought into this and have the materials on hand with lots of friends who have the professional backing of their skills needed to help me. Nothing has been put into place yet though. The only money that has been spent was for the beer for my friends coming over and doing a little bit of design work for me. I would love for this idea to be able to work with no worries of burning down the house. I had a professional chimney cleaner come and clean the masonry chimney and inspect the clay flue liner. He said everything looks to be in great shape. I then proceeded to tell him what I had planned and he said that it sounded like a great idea as long as I have help to do it all...which I do!

Status
Not open for further replies.