Chimney Liner "T" connection question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Blue Vomit

Minister of Fire
Jul 12, 2011
eastern PA
I just received my liner kit today and started piecing the T together. I noticed the connection is not flush. There are visible gaps when I connect the snout to the T and tighten it as tight as it can go. The gaps are not huge but definatley large enough for air/gasses to escape. I can easily see light through from the other side in several spots.
My question is should the snout connection be completely flush?
If this is normal, can I fill in the gaps with high temp caulk, stove cement?
If I can fill it in, wont it just crack and fall out from the hight temps?
Thanks

Attachments

• District%207%20Urbana-20120906-00039[1].jpg
    District%207%20Urbana-20120906-00039[1].jpg
    65.7 KB · Views: 145
  • District%207%20Urbana-20120906-00039[1].jpg
    District%207%20Urbana-20120906-00039[1].jpg
    65.7 KB · Views: 134
  • snout.jpg
    snout.jpg
    51.9 KB · Views: 147
If you have good draft, you will never get flue gases/smoke coming out through those gaps...air will be drawn in. If it bugs you, you can try filling the gaps with furnace cement. Maybe around the outside too. Rick

Thanks Rick,
I am dropping this 6" liner inside my current existing insulated 8" liner. It is 25' so I suspect it will draft well. I guess Ill throw some cement in for kicks.

I'd think it would work just fine.

Now I wish the new liner which I am about to install did not include a T with a strap. My Chimney guy said he has seen the welded snouts break, so he recommended the strap style. I had not considered the gap issue.

My guess is Furnace cement would probably hold up for a few years before vibration and heat/cool cycles work it loose. I have very good long term luck with furnace cement where the stove collar and short horizontal pipe meet.

If there were any fundamental problem inherent to the operation of a flue system installation that includes a two-piece clamped T...they wouldn't be on the market. Rick

Mine had a slight gap, I used some furnace cement and haven't had any issues.

Mine had a slight gap, I used some furnace cement and haven't had any issues.
+1, but only on second season coming up here. Remember what a PITA working that screw in was, though. Found my extension the next day, of course.

Good luck with it, BV.

Chimney liner depot has been great. Very good customer service. They say it is not unusual and will send me some high temp caulk or cement just to put my mind at ease.
Good people up there in the Pocono Mts.

Reactions: osagebow
That looks about the same as my tee did. I didn't add any sealer and it gets good draft with 17' of insulated liner...

If there were any fundamental problem inherent to the operation of a flue system installation that includes a two-piece clamped T...they wouldn't be on the market. Rick

Were the Pinto and Corvair figments of my imagination?

My Pinto wagon was great until, out in the boonies in the UP of MI, a wheel bearing fried and the right rear wheel and axle departed from the vehicle. !!!

I note.. neither is on the market today.. thus validating the theory.. lol

I note.. neither is on the market today.. thus validating the theory.. lol

But they were for many years, thus invalidating the theory, from the perspective of those shopping them at the time. :p Perhaps this tee junction will be outlawed in years future.

"Unsafe at any speed". - Wonder if Ralph Nader is stii around? Hopefully your stove won't be rear-ended by a truck. :)

Front passenger floorboard and seat fell out of my buddy's rusted pinto at 45 mph, luckily I was in the back. Guy in front had to change his pants. Still remember the smell and sparks.

good times...

There were other vehicles at the time that were equally if not more unsafe. These models just got picked out to be the poster children.

There were other vehicles at the time that were equally if not more unsafe. These models just got picked out to be the poster children.

Hahaha...this is very true. And i know what that's like -

-Osage bow
AKA John Poster:)

Status
Not open for further replies.