chimney liner through roof?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

rdsherman

May 4, 2015
ohio
Hi, we are looking to add a wood stove to our 1870 farmhouse to supplement the electric baseboard radiators. A few years ago we redid the roof and removed the chimney below the roof line. Is it possible to reline the chimney up to the roof and then go through the roof without rebuilding the chimney? I've enclosed a photo of where the chimney now ends in the attic as well as where it would emerge in the roof. I assume anything penetrating the roof would have to rise higher than the dormer. Thank you for your help.

Attachments

• chimney.JPG
    chimney.JPG
    431 KB · Views: 251
  • roof.jpg
    roof.jpg
    101.1 KB · Views: 147
Yes, you can reline the chimney, but more work will be involved.
You will have to get a mason in there to level off & repoint the top of the existing brick structure.
You need to have a relatively flat surface to attach an adapter plate to.
The chimney liner attaches to the underside of the adapter with fasteners (rivets or Zipscrews).
The adapter plate is fastened to the top of the chimney with masonry anchors.
You will then have to attach a section of Class A chimney to the top side of the adapter plate.
That Class A will pass thru the roof line & thru a flashing with a storm collar & continue to the cap..
From the upper side of the roof penetration, you will have to maintain a 3ft-2ft-10ft requirement.

An alternative would be to put in a freestanding stove in another location. Sometimes this is even better if it places the stove more central in the floorplan.

Thanks, Daksy. That's exactly what I wanted to know. I'll have many more questions as I get going. Thanks in advance.

Status
Not open for further replies.