Chimney liner - vertical or horizontal

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

motterry

Oct 27, 2014
Mass
Looking to put a freestanding stove in with a liner up the chimney. I have heard good and bad to both of the following scenarios.
A) Installing the stove with a top vent straight up the chimney.
B) Installing the stove with a rear vent then 90 up the chimney.

One theory is having the straight chimney is better for draft. But adding the 90 bend will allow for a clean-out and not allow for creo to drip into the stove.

What are your thoughts?

Many members have successfully installed a rear-vented stove in their fireplace so it is certainly feasible. The question is how tall is your chimney and can you put an insulated 6" liner down there? Plus, can your fireplace even accommodate a top-vented stove? Going top-vent will certainly give you a lot more choices.

It is a 2 story chimney with the clearance for a 6" liner.
Top vent will put me in the small stove category to fit it in, so it does limit the choices there. This is a secondary source of heat, so the size doesn't really bother me from heat output stand point. Just the hassle of small logs...

2 stories should be plenty to have good draft even with a rear-vented stove. It's your decision how big of a stove you want to install. How tall is your fireplace opening and how deep is the hearth? What's your budget?

The opening is 28". The hearth is 24 deep. I was planning to re-do the hearth with slate if I put one on it to get the spark clearance. If the stove requires more of an R value than ~.3 then I will have to build up the hearth and thereby reduce the opening clearance.
$2500 would be nice to stay under for the stove.

28" is cutting it short for the rear-vented stoves. The Woodstock stoves should fit with their short leg kits. Other than that I am not aware of any medium or large stove that would go in there. A top-vent will also be tough. You will need at least 1" from the flue collar to be able to attach the liner. Have you thought about an insert?

clydesdale_brown_enamel.jpg

Standard surround panel is 47" wide, so a 3" or so overlap on the sides, I know from first hand experience it can hold a fire overnight, soapstone lined firebox and holds a 20" + length log. I know its way out of the budget, but I think it shows that there are beautiful options for inserts. The glass viewing area on this insert is huge.

Hearthstone Clydesdale I think when I was a dealer it retailed for about $3500 in the brown. But what a looker

I just purchased an Jotul Oslo for my fireplace. I was running a rear exit old Vermont Castings Defiant but unfortunately the base cracked when I moved it. I have a similar opening - 28 1/2" tall with a 17" hearth extension. The F500 is 26 1/2" tall rear exit with the short leg kit, so it should fit fine. I will know for sure tomorrow and could take a picture as well if it would help. This picture is with the Defiant

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    203.2 KB · Views: 108
You would be right around your budget if you went with the Matte Black finish on the Oslo, but mine was $3,000 out the door with the Blue Black enamel and short leg kit.

I just looked at the PE Super; not quite a looker as the Clydesdale but more in your budget. Standard surround is 43" wide and 29" high. https://chimneysweeponline.com/pacsupins.htm

Maybe you are just looking in the small category when you think you may need an oversized surround? What kind of area would you like to heat? How well is your house insulated?

The house is 1800sqft and well insulated. This is also supplemental heat to a Nat gas furnace. I am mainly doing this because I have a supply of wood, like to have fires in the fireplace, and don't like to freeze the rest of the house as most of the fire heat is sent out the chimney. So the thought was to get a small - mid sized one to manage the cost of the stove and supply some room warmth where the stove is.
Some of the standard surrounds I have found to be right at 40" on the mid sized stoves - Hampton/Regency.

My Defiant heats my entire house. We hit negative temps numerous times last year and I didn't turn on the baseboards once. I'm hopeful that the Oslo will do the same. I looked at inserts briefly but decided I absolutely didn't want a fan and I wanted a purely radiant style stove. My house is a basic raised ranch around 2,000 sq ft.

Status
Not open for further replies.