Chimney liner

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

G Archer

Aug 7, 2008
Middle Georgia
This year I am going to take out a free standing Fisher wood stove,open up the fireplace which has been bricked over and install a wood burning insert.My chimney is brick with no liner.It is 24''x24'' inside.Im going to line it with a ss liner.Should I use the ridged type or the flexable type.Which is easier to clean?I would appreciate any suggestions.

Glenn Archer
Middle GA.

If there are no offsets and you have a straight shot I'd go with rigid, it's smooth no groves for creosote to stick to and probably drafts a little better.
You might need a short piece of flex to go around the fireplace damper area to the stove.

Yep... rigid to the offset, then flex to the adaptor for the stove.

Agreed - rigid is better, even if you need to break out any clay liners. With 24 x 24 inside, you should be able to overcome most offsets in the flue - the fireplace offset will likely need the flex, and maybe a 30* or 45* elbow.

Also - consider insulating the liner. Here is a recent thread on that subject -https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewthread/34151/

lots of info in it, but in the end, here is the summary:
you should insulate your liner for 2 reasons -

1 - to limit radiant heat to the walls
2 - in order for it to be installed IAW the manufacturers instructions, therefore meeting code.

Another great 3rd reason is this - zero/zero specs of a insulated liner system means you can air seal and insulate around it without issues of flammability

Status
Not open for further replies.