Chimney liner?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bridges

Oct 18, 2011
RI
Hi, 

New guy with questions.

I have a Jotul F 600. My chimney height is 13' 3" to the top of stove pipe inlet. The flue size i think is 7 1/4 * 11 5/8. I know the outside dimension is 12 5/8 * 8 1/4. I'm kicking myself now because I didn't measure the inside dimension. I only measure the outside to see what cap i will need.

To my question, I'm thinking I want a chimney liner so I can have better start up's of the stove. With the liner in place and the liner wrap with insulation I won't get the smoke coming in the room when I start a fire. Well I assume I will get better performance with no smoke enter the room by adding a liner. The other problem I see from the manual is the chimney shouldn't be shorter then 14' which I guess I'm pretty much at 14'. Also for the fire clay it says it should be 8 * 8 or no larger then 8 * 12 and if a round fire clay is used it must be at least 6". Can I use a 6" flex pipe for my flue?

Will I still get this draft if I use a liner. I have the outside door open when I start the fire and No matter how I start the fire, whether i use a dura log, fire gel or plenty of kindling and small branches I get smoke some smoke coming in the room on start up.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Stick a 6" liner down that chimney and you will be amazed at the difference. A large 8x12 clay tile chimney especially on the outside of the house takes a lot longer to heat up and kick in the draft.

You would definately see an improvement in draft. Your chimney is on the short end but with an appropriately sized liner you should be able to overcome th smokey startup.

Yep. Burned into two unlined flues for years. Just like, well, that other thing. Been kicking myself every since I lined them for not starting sooner. A lot sooner.

Daylight and dark difference.

figuring oldspark will chime in here :)

Welcome to the site bridges. I lined my chimney and wouldn't want to have to run the stove w/out again.

pen

Welcome bridges. It could make a very nice difference for you. How much will depend on a few other factors. All short chimneys benefit, but exterior chimneys benefit the most.

How's the stove connected to the chimney and how high is it from the stove top to the chimney connection?

Thanks for all the reply's! You guys have me all pump for this new liner!

I have a two foot pipe from the stove to the chimney connection which 90's right in to a 6*8 at the chimney connection. With the size flue I have it appears to me I can only use a 6" liner. Now from the tee to in the house will be 6" going into 8". My concern here is, do they make a ring for 6" pipe to cover the 8"?

Status
Not open for further replies.