Chimney liners

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mackle D

Dec 16, 2013
Washington Crossing PA
Does anyone know if it's important to have a liner wrapped in insulation before it's installed. I had a regency i3100 installed and there was no insulation wrapped on the liner. I was recently told that it's an improper install and could be a fire hazard.
Thanks,
Mike

Welcome to the forum. For what I remember the mods saying is it helps with keep the liner warm, thus giving you better flow and reduce creosote formation. By either wrapping it with special insulation or pour down vermiculite mix. But, wait for expert advice. I am still a noob too.

Does anyone know if it's important to have a liner wrapped in insulation before it's installed. I had a regency i3100 installed and there was no insulation wrapped on the liner. I was recently told that it's an improper install and could be a fire hazard.
Thanks,
Mike

Yeah, insulation can improve performance by keeping the flue warmer. Whether or not it's required for code depends on the condition and size of the original masonry chimney. . .how 'bout posting the details of your chimney?

Mike, give this thread a read for a recent review of the issues.

https://www.hearth.com/talk/index.php?posts/1657977

Insulating the liner is always safer. How much safer depends on the clearances in and around the chimney it is installed into.

Let us know some details on your chimney.

Reactions: BrotherBart
Welcome to the forum. For what I remember the mods saying is it helps with keep the liner warm, thus giving you better flow and reduce creosote formation. By either wrapping it with special insulation or pour down vermiculite mix. But, wait for expert advice. I am still a noob too.
I had mine done with smooth walled stainless, insulated block off plate, filled with vermiculite and caped on the top. It cost me $1200 for the complete installation, there may be other ways but I think this is a good option.

Welcome Mike. The information you've received is completely wrong. An insulated liner is safer and a better performer.

Welcome Mike. The information you've received is completely wrong. An insulated liner is safer and a better performer.
The vermiculite is the insulation, it fills the entire void between the the liner and the old chimney I don't know why it wouldn't be safe.

I was responding to the OP's question, who is also named Mike.

Status
Not open for further replies.