Chimney lining advice

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

gandalf

Feb 10, 2008
Lancaster, PA
I have a two-story brick chimney on an exterior wall (masonry [terra-cotta?]-lined). The chimney structure contains two masonry flues. One extends to our basement and serves an oil-fired boiler. The other flue goes to a fireplace on our first floor (about 24 feet of flue [lined]). As my signature indicates, we have an older Jotul #3 wood stove (6-inch flue). I had a handyman help me connect the stove to the fireplace flue. We installed a section of stainless liner to get above the first (bottom) liner tile. The liner section was very compressed to get through the fireplace damper. Anyway, never worked very well. I found by taking the damper flap out, I can get significantly more width (about 4.25 inches) and by taking out the damper frame and modifying a brick or three, I may be able to run a non-ovalized 6" pipe through the fireplace damper. In any case, I want to line the flue with a stainless liner. I'm considering DuraLiner from NorthlineExpress.com, a double-wall, factory-insulated liner. Any better ideas, or warnings / suggestions, installation tips?

Thank you!

Welcome. Running up a full liner should improve performance a lot. DuraLiner is an excellent product. How tall is the chimney?

I did this exact thing with a 8 inch liner and insulation wrap. Works great now
I also bought fireboard at lowes and fabbed up a block off plate and made 2 brackets that act as toggle bolts. The brackets just hang off damper frame and the bolts tighten up the board against the damper frame with the white insulation sealing and gaps. Made world of better heating
DSC01336.JPG
DSC04145.JPG
DSC04155.JPG

DuraLiner is an excellent product. How tall is the chimney?

Chimney's 30 feet, give or take, but the clay liner to the first floor chimney is a little under 24 feet (based on the number of 48-inch fiberglass cleaning rods required; taking measurements today), and the (angular) distance in the smoke chamber between the bottom clay tile and the fireplace damper is just over 2 feet. I think I need roughly 26 feet of liner plus cap (kit), elbows or flexible section (for smoke chamber offset), T clean-out, and short section of stove pipe. I forgot to mention that I'm looking at rigid DuraLiner and it installs in sections.

Status
Not open for further replies.