Chimney Lining and antique stove question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

marcusn

Nov 18, 2009
New Jersey
This is my first post and I have several questions about chimney lining and installing an antique wood burning stove. My home was built in 1827 and I would like to reline the chimney. The chimney is very old with loose mortar and no clay liner. In doing some research, my thoughts are that I would need to have an insulated, flexible, six inch stainless steel liner. It needs to be flexible because of a kink in the chimney. But the contractors that have come to the house have given me different opinions on what needs to be done. One told me they would use a rigid liner, but gave no answer on how they would snake it through the kink, another told me that a flexible liner with no insulation should be fine. Is there anyone in central New Jersey who can recommend a good chimney contractor?

After the chimney is relined, I plan to install an antique stove from 1872. The stove is being professionally restored so I can use it. Does anyone have experience with installing a stove of this age?

I have provided two links, you can cut and paste. One of the chimney and the other shows the chimney in the fireplace opening.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/9879394@N03/4113782742/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/9879394@N03/4113014967/in/photostream/

Thanks.

Mark

Can we get a pic of the house, must be great looking that old, any history to it?

Locally, a few good earthshakes would have taken it down long ago. It's great that you are doing the research and not trying to burn in it. An insulated liner is required. If the chimney has an offset in it, flex is what you need.

We have a couple posters that installed restored antique stoves last year. Try searching on that topic in this forum.

A cast in place flue liner is another alternative which has several advantages for old, unlined chimneys. There are a number of different systems. These include Supaflu, Ahrens, Guardian. When I had a Supaflu liner installed a few years ago, the cost was very close to that of a stainless steel liner.

Status
Not open for further replies.