Chimney lining/cleaning question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

semipro

Minister of Fire
Jan 12, 2009
SW Virginia
After numerous posts here, and the receipt of much good advice I bought a new Jotul Oslo to install in an existing masonry fireplace in our great room. We previously used a Jotul catalytic Firelight in our uninsulated basement. Folks here have convinced me to install a stove on the first floor instead of heating the back fill around our basement walls.

My concern is with flue cleaning. The Firelight has run so cleanly over the last 8 years that flue cleaning has not been much of an issue. I'm worried that the new non-cat Oslo will require more flue cleaning.

For the new install I'm planning to line the existing 25' 13"x13" ceramic flue with rigid 6" stainless transitioning to 6" flexible stainless at the smoke shelf and running to the stove. All liner save that below a block-off plate will be insulated with rock wool.

My concern about this install is how I clean the liner. I see no problem with the straight rigid section, its the flexible section that worries me. I don't want to poke a hole in it. I've seen references here to non-metallic brushes used on flex liner. What I'm not clear on is how the flex section is actually cleaned. Do you use a flexible rod with the non-metallic brush? Anyone see any pitfalls I haven't with the install or cleaning?

Sorry if the is post is redundant. I searched the archives without much luck, probably operator error. Links to past posts are welcome.

I'm so looking forward to cranking this baby up this fall!

Well I can't really answer your questions about cleaning the flexible section of the liner (but perhaps my post will boot this thread to the top where folks might answer) . . . but I will say that I was cleaning out my chimney every month last winter and quite honestly I know for a fact I could have got away with cleaning it once during the year . . . or maybe even have waited until the end of the season . . . I ended up with very little creosote (outside insulated Class A chimney running 24 or so feet high). I cleaned the top of the baffle for the first time this Summer and also found very little cresote (more ash) on the baffle top and in the stove pipe. The key I believe is to use seasoned wood and run it properly (i.e. hot temps).

That said, while I do not believe I will need to clean the chimney every month I will continue to check it monthly . . . and if I've got the chimney exposed I'll most likely take the 5 minutes to run the brush through it anyways (I can sweep from the bottom while outside so it's very easy to sweep.)

Many people have full flex liners all the way down. They use poly or metal brushes with flexible rods... never heard of anyone poking a hole. Its not like its tin foil...

The consensus is to use a poly brush on liners, but a few people have said they use steel with no probs.

My thanks to those that bothered to respond. Maybe I'm over-complicating things.

Semipro said:
My thanks to those that bothered to respond. Maybe I'm over-complicating things.

I have an outside chimney so I can't really answer your question about the flex liner . . . maybe by booting this thread back to the top you'll get some more opinions from folks.

Good flex liner is actually pretty tough stuff. You would really have to be doing something wrong to put a hole in it. As jtp said, use a flexible rod with a poly brush and you'll be fine. If it were me I would probably run insulated flex all the way down with a cleanout at the bottom (if possible, depending on your installation).

Status
Not open for further replies.