chimney location

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jamesk7

Sep 10, 2010
Alberta, Canada
I am about to install a stove in a small well insulated cabin(12'wide by 16'long with 6'insulated walls) and decided on the jotul F602 CB. Now that I am making plans for the stovepipe and it is a case of the more I learn about this the less I am certain what to do.

My question is what would be the better place for chimney placement - the roof is a cathedral, starting at 8' on the lowside to 12' on the high side, spanning the building width of 12' - I was planning on putting the stove in the corner - on the lowside I would have 6' of interior double walland with clearances I would have 6' of insulated pipe from the roof. Otherwise - if I put the stove on the high side - I would have 10' of interior double wall and 3' of chimney from the roof peak.
Which is better?

I am considering both cost difference and draft.

I should also say that winters here can range from zero to arctic cold.

I've attached a sketch.

Thanks.

Attachments

• Scan_Pic0002.jpg
    Scan_Pic0002.jpg
    11.4 KB · Views: 201
Class A (the exterior pipe) is much more expensive than the interior connector pipe. I'd go with the peak set up for lower cost, more heat on the interior and no bracing necessary for the pipe. The lower location would need bracing and maybe a cricket for snow diversion.

I would think that the stove on the low side of the cabin could create a swirl afect as the hot air travels to the high point on the other end and then settles. any thoughts on this? Willing to get bashed for improper thinking if thats the case!

Status
Not open for further replies.