Chimney locking bands

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

windowmaker2

Sep 6, 2014
ohio
Are the 10$ locking bands between Class A chimney sections needed or can you use 2 10¢ stainless steel screw to secure them?

If your chimney system calls for locking bands then yes they are needed but most systems don't use bands shop around if you dont want to use them. And if it is a locking band system how would you screw it?

I've never put a screw into class A pipe. They're threaded on the simpson stuff I've used.

Ventis by olympia is attached with screws. That is the only one i know of most are twist lock

I acctually prefer screws or locking bands over twist lock i have had twist lock come apart when taking a cap off before. But thats just me there is nothing wrong with twist ones just not my preference.

Even if it is a twist lock system something is needed to secure it. Most twist lock class a have a locking band available, but honestly 1/2" screws work just as well. What brand is the pipe?

Even if it is a twist lock system something is needed to secure it

I have never seen anything in the instructions about securing it in any way other than twist. But i haven't used any other than ventis for a long time am i wrong do they call for more now?

I have never seen anything in the instructions about securing it in any way other than twist. But i haven't used any other than ventis for a long time am i wrong do they call for more now?
All the Selkirk/Hart&Cooley/Amerivent lines as well as Dura-Vent have locking bands. Excel just uses 4 screws and no locking joint. It's much harder to get straight than a twist lock pipe!

Ok then I should have kept my mouth shut lol. Like i said i dont use allot of different brands but from what i have used i prefer the screw together ones just my opinion. I haven't had an issue with getting them straight. But all we have used in the past 5 years or so is ventis

It's not hard to keep em straight, just have to be mindful of it that's all. The twist lock doesn't have any wiggle.

How do the bands on say supervent like i have stop them from twisting off? Does it just squeeze it enough to cause a tighter fit?

The is typically a bead at the end of the ends of the pipe, m&f, that are tight together when assembled. The locking band mounts over both beads securing the joint. I too have seen twist lock pipe become unlocked when the bands are not used. It usually happens in most difficult spot where it was hard enough to assemble let alone get the locking bands on.

How do the bands on say supervent like i have stop them from twisting off? Does it just squeeze it enough to cause a tighter fit?
The locking band won't necessarily keep the pipe from twisting, it does prevent the pieces from being seperated. I also screw the pipe to the flashing with short screws so nothing can untwist down below when the cap is removed.

I picked up Selkirk ( twist lock) from Menard's this weekend. They had the bands but thought by putting in 2 screws opposite each other it would keep them from ever untwisting. I was going for low cost as it is for the barn and Menard's had it on sale for 59$ for 3' sections. And less than the cost of one band I could get a pack of screws to do the same thing. Next up install on Sunday and a little bit of warmth by days end hopefully.

I trust the twist lock on our system because their are no bends. But if I had to secure it I would use the locking bands. Any screw penetration is a potential entrance for water into the insulation. This may void the pipe warranty as well as the insulation integrity.

I trust the twist lock on our system because their are no bends. But if I had to secure it I would use the locking bands. Any screw penetration is a potential entrance for water into the insulation. This may void the pipe warranty as well as the insulation integrity.
I would not use screws in the joint if the pipe was outside in the open. If fact, we have been finding some leaks where water is finding its way in through the seams. TLC from Hart&Cooley just started laser welding all of their joints to prevent this.

Status
Not open for further replies.