Chimney measures 14'2" can I get away with 15' liner?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

SeanG

Feb 25, 2015
Charlottesville, VA
The title says it all folks. I just remeasured my chimney by running the tape measure down and having my sweep hold it for me. He held it right where we believe (based on my stove dimensions) the flue exit will be.

The question is, will I be OK with 15' given that there will be a few slight bends to get around the smoke shelf?

The damper has been cut out as well as two bricks for easier routing of the liner.

I just don't know how much length I'm going to lose to the bends. The sweep and Rockford Chimney "think" I'll be fine but I'd hate to come up short. On the other hand I'd prefer to save the $60.

What say yee?

Sean

Might work. How much was allowed above the top of the clay tile at the top? Will an elbow be needed to improve connection angle at the stove? That would add some inches.

Might work. How much was allowed above the top of the clay tile at the top? Will an elbow be needed to improve connection angle at the stove? That would add some inches.

Rockford said that they like to have about 3" above the top of the clay tile so that would leave 7" to soak up the bends around the smoke shelf.

I may just by a 15 or 30 degree elbow just be on the safe side as well. Can always return it if not used.

Status
Not open for further replies.