Got up this morning, had to get more wood off the pile, temps here are +10F, glanced up at the chimney and to my horror saw a glowing drip of molten metal hanging from the cap. Looking at the cap, I see it looks distorted as if heated to high, then I see another drip of what looks to be maybe molten aluminum. Could I have had a chimney fire and slept through it? I touched the outside wall of the chimney chase and it's cold, I race downstairs to shut the air to the boiler. then run to my truck to get the extension ladder. After climbing down from the trucks roof, dragging the ladder to the chimney and trying to dig the damn feet into the frozen ground, I race up the ladder to see what damage has been done. What do I find? A damn amber colored icicle, the the morning sun shining through it looks like glowing red metal........ hh: I guess I've been getting a little paranoid about chimney fires. So now the ladder is still against the chimney and when this temp breaks, I'm going up with a brush.