Chimney, not worth sweeping?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

polaris

Feeling the Heat
Jan 31, 2008
KY.
The last few times I've swept the chimneys It was really not necessary(less than a cup or so +/-). I think I may go with an inspection or two per season and a sweep every year or so(maybe longer). Is anyone else in the same boat?

For my chimney- I really have to get up there to have me a look-see anyhoo- that's where the creosote accumulates. Is it really any more effort to jam the brush down there while I'm up there? Naw.

Now I might need a sweep more than you, but it'd be like stopping at the bowling alley to use the bathroom. I mean- I'm there- might as well bowl a couple frames and buy a bag of horse while I'm there ya know?

Adios Pantalones said:
For my chimney- I really have to get up there to have me a look-see anyhoo- that's where the creosote accumulates. Is it really any more effort to jam the brush down there while I'm up there? Naw.

Now I might need a sweep more than you, but it'd be like stopping at the bowling alley to use the bathroom. I mean- I'm there- might as well bowl a couple frames and buy a bag of horse while I'm there ya know?
What does a couple of frames and a bag of H run at the bowling alley these days? (I don't get out as much as I used to).

polaris said:
The last few times I've swept the chimneys It was really not necessary(less than a cup or so +/-). I think I may go with an inspection or two per season and a sweep every year or so(maybe longer). Is anyone else in the same boat?

Same thing for my stack. I inspect it every year, and typically only sweep it every 2 years. Even then the accumulation is very minimal, but my sweep does a full inspection of stove and stack, so its more of a piece of mind and a second set of eyes than anything.

Adios Pantalones said:

thats great man.
i hope i can remember and use that someday.

Status
Not open for further replies.