Chimney O2 Levels on EPA Phase 2 stoves

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

TMonter

Minister of Fire
Feb 8, 2007
Hayden, ID
I was wondering if Corie or anyone else had some hard data on the O2 levels exiting EPA phase 2 stoves. I'm trying to come up with a basic spreadsheet on energy content versus moisture content versus excess air for modern wood stoves.

I figured Mike & Corie might have the most data in this area but anyone else is welcome to post what they have.

I was figuring most stoves operate with about 60-100% excess air above stoichiometric.

O2 levels in stack gas.........

Between 8% and 15% roughly, depending on burn rate (remember this is with Douglas Fir test loads).

O2 levels in stack gas.........

Between 8% and 15% roughly, depending on burn rate (remember this is with Douglas Fir test loads).

Wow so 65% to 220% excess air at a wood moisture content of 25%. That's a pretty big range to work with. I didn't realize excess air levels were that high.

Excess air does not = O2.

Air only has ~20.9% O2 by volume, slightly less for wet air. To get chimney O2 levels of 8-15% (by mass) you need between 65% and 220% excess air to get that O2 content when firing wood with 25% moisture.

Status
Not open for further replies.