Chimney on the cheap

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ntaylor1

Sep 29, 2006
Hi guys,

I just picked up an older box style woodstove with 4" opening in the top for $45. I was hoping to put it in my garage which is an uninsulated structure to provide a little heat while doing work out there this winter. I was suprised to find out that a class A chimney kit is $500+. I want to know what the cheapest way to install this is noting that it will not be used for extended periods or unattended.

Thanks in advance.

I'm sure others will weigh in here, but be careful putting a woodstove in a garage. Just consider the list of combustable thing there. Doing exactly what your thinking is a good candidate for a house fire.

That said, check out Obadiah's for chimney parts.

It doesnt matter how often the unit is going to be used. It has to be installed properly. You will need a Class A chimney. $500 seems on the low side to tell you the truth. If you decide to cut corners and your burn your house down, the insurance wont pay up. Also, as Elk will tell you, wood stoves in a garage are a no no. So if you decide to do it any way. Be extra carfull that you do it right and make shure the stove is at least 18" of the ground. I highly recommed that you scrap it, expecially if you want to do the chimney on the cheap.

Yeah, you're thinking about using single wall outside the house aren't you? Or thinking about breaking some rules, because otherwise you wouldn't be asking if there was a way to beat the 500 price tag.

Either do it right, or please, for your safety, don't do it at all. That's all we can tell you.

Word...

There are a whole lot of garage fires out there. What ever you do, don't take shortcuts on safety and maintaining very generous clearances to anything combustible. It sounds like you may have a Jotul or Morso with a 120mm? collar. If so, and if it's in good shape, no cracks, at least it's a good stove. If it's a Vogelzang box stove, it is not. But just because it's small doesn't mean it won't get very hot. The Jotul 602 for example heated our house for a few years. It needed to be fed frequently, but put out a lot of heat. I don't fault you for trying to save a buck, but not at the risk of safety. If you are going to be painting with volatile paints or creating a lot of sawdust, don't burn. If the garage is at all near the house, consider insulating it instead, probably cheaper and a lot safer.

I've been on this forum for a year or so now, with 6 fireplaces. I haven't had a single burn in that time, because I was waiting until I had the money to buy the chimney liners to do it right. I just got them, and hopefully, will install this weekend.

Look, fires are a great, cheaper way to heat, but in a garage, be bloody careful. If you must use a wood stove, do it right, don't cheap out on it.

What brand stove? Will you try to run it through the roof or out a side wall? Describe your setup and someone can recommend the cheapest but safe way to do it.

I just found out that a gas water heater atached to a garage has to be at least 18" off of the floor, is there something simialer with a wood stove also? The gas company guy said it was so if you spill gasoline, the flame will be higher than the gasoline fumes. I don't know if a woodstove is different, but I can't see why it would be, just something else to think about. Seems I learn something new everday now!

NFPA211
Chapter 12 solid fuel burning applaibces

12.2.3 Solid fuel-burning appliances shall not be installed in any location where gasoline or any other flammable vapors or gases are present.
12.2.4 Solid fuel-burning appliances shall not be installed in any garage.

elkimmeg said:
NFPA211
Chapter 12 solid fuel burning applaibces

12.2.3 Solid fuel-burning appliances shall not be installed in any location where gasoline or any other flammable vapors or gases are present.
12.2.4 Solid fuel-burning appliances shall not be installed in any garage.

And there you have it.

A while back I posted a garage fire caused by a wood stove In Charlestown RI a few years back. Fortunately it was not attached and the owner was called into the house when it exploded. The explosions knocked out windows in homes 200 ft away All the fire dept could do was wet down the home and prevent further damage. Burning pieces of the garage ended up in the neighbor's yard 200 feet away

Was the cause ever found? I have seen that with a propane explosion, but can't imagine gasoline doing that.

The guy used the garage to fix clasic mustangs and was cleaning parts with carberator fluid it was a bit cold in there so he had his wood stove going.The vapors found the wood stove and exploded as did the gas tanks of each of the mustangs. His wife had called him moments before the explosion to answer a phone call. It was not his time yet
For the rest of the story I will post the link from prior post but for it golf time bye

We had a call here not that long ago, where A guy did the same thing. Except he was in thprocess of building the garage. Propane leak.... BOOM!!! Took the house out, too. We found kitchen silverware in the neighbors yard!

Status
Not open for further replies.