chimney per stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

woodywilson

Dec 10, 2010
SE MICH
New member here. I am purchasing a stove this weekend--narrowed down to Avalon Arbor, Jotul Castile or Oslo or PE t5 classic. I have looked, touched and gone over each stove and the many reports on here. My install would be about 14 feet of chimney above the stove top-- straight up to 8 foot ceiling- 6 foot in attic then exiting at peak of home. ???? would be does anyone have advice on which stove maybe the best setup for this chimney

I'd imagine any stove would rock hard with that chimney setup--you basically defined the most ideal chimney configuration a person could have. Keep in mind the pipe does have to extend above the roof a bit, it can't just exit at the peak and stop (think it's the 2-3-10 rule? it has to protrude at least 3 feet I think... someone else can chime in there)

Your house size, quality of insulation and tightness of build are all factors necessary to help determine what size stove you need. I mean if we do not even know the sqft then how can we help on the stove.

The chimney looks to be on or over 30'. Thats going to give you a strong draft. Might need a key damper.

With that setup, the Oslo or PE T5 would be my first choice. The Arbor is going to want a bit more chimney. The Castine is a smaller, shallower firebox and may not draw the best when temps outside are moderate.

Connect the stove with double-wall pipe and consider adding a couple more feet to the class A pipe outside. Be sure to have it braced if that puts it over 5 ft.

sorry may have confused some with my post my total chimney length would be 14 feet-- 1100 sq. foot-- --10 windows 3 of them new and tight the rest pretty drafty

Most manufacturers recommend 13-15' minimum so I would say you should do well with that chimney with any of the stoves.

btw, our chimney is even shorter with a 90 degree so we are really way short of recommended. In addition, our chimney is a SS going up the outside of the house without a chase. It works just fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.