CHIMNEY PIPE CLEARANCES

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jimdeq

Apr 23, 2010
northeastern wisconsin
I am running black pipe out of the back of a Tarm 60. The pipe will come out the back and into a elbow and run about 5 ft at a 45 degree angle to where it will transfer to the Class A stainless coming through the roof. My question is that I assume clearence is less with class A vs black pipe. The entire room will have 5/8" plaster board for fire protection. What is the distance that black pipe can be from a protected wall if that is considered protected?

I'm not 100% on this, but I believe the minimum is 18 inches to combustible material, and I think the paper faced drywall would be considered combustible. If you put sheet metal over the drywall with a 1 inch gap between them, you can reduce the distance to 9". Another 1 inch an more sheet metal would be 4.5 inches.

jimdeq said:
So what about Class A going between the roof trusses?

The class a I just bought is rated at 2". ( super vent brand I think)

Status
Not open for further replies.