Chimney Pipe Curing Time

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jutt77

Feeling the Heat
Dec 18, 2010
Bailey, Colorado
Howdy Folks,

I installed a new NC30 in our new house a few months ago, have burned around 10 fires and completed the stove paint cure without issue. At any rate I replaced some existing 6" chimney pipe with a brand new Duravent 6" diameter telescoping section of pipe.

I used the existing ceiling transition which emitted no smell when running the original stove (old/hot smoke dragon).

I had a NC30 (I'm a huge fan of this stove) in our previous home and the paint cure was as expected but we also had a chimney (flexi lined) and no painted chimney pipe to deal with. So it was like a day or two of odor and then nothing, as it should be.

However, I'm still getting some paint cure odors that I'm assuming are coming from the upper end of the chimney pipe.

Has anyone experienced that as well? Long cure times with the chimney pipe? I used NO silicone or anything else and the surround (stone) and hearth (slate) are literally cool to the touch even when the NC30 is rocking.

I guess I need to have a few more really hot, open damper fires to move the heat up the pipe? What should the surface temp of the paint be for curing to occur?

Attachments

• Wood Stove.jpg
    Wood Stove.jpg
    84.4 KB · Views: 215
I've experienced the exact same with my double wall connector pipe and adjustable section; supervent brand on both of my woodstoves. Seemed like each time I hit a new high temp it would give off a paint cure smell, lasted actually well into its first season of use. By the end of the season the paint was not so 'satin' anymore, but 'flat' appearance and it stopped smelling.

Status
Not open for further replies.