Chimney Pipe Install Issue

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

sadsak

Aug 16, 2015
Atlanta, GA
Hi,

Last winter I had an FPX 36 installed. Had my first cleaning done last week. Cleaning went great, but camera revealed that the second to last section of pipe (the section 4 feet up from the stove), was not snapped together properly. One side is slightly crushed and there is an estimated 1/8" gap a few inches wide. I have a call out to the installers to see if they will make it right. I asked the sweep, if the installer will not make it right, what was involved in fixing it and the approximate cost. The description he gave of the work was basically - come down the chimney, cutting out the firestop, adding new sections of pipe all the way up, creating a new firestop, etc. (Chimney is brick over plywood and hearth is floor to ceiling stacked stone) Estimated cost $2500. From what I could see the damage is confined to the second section. The first section (attached to the stove) did not appear to be damaged. I think the procedure sounds plausible (assuming they cannot just replace the second second section and get it to snap properly). I have a total of 7 pipe sections. Does the quoted price make sense?

Thanks!

well what pipe is it? I dont see why they would have to replace anything but the bad section. i personally would open up the chase and just replace the bad section not messing with the rest.

well what pipe is it? I dont see why they would have to replace anything but the bad section. i personally would open up the chase and just replace the bad section not messing with the rest.

Standard air cooled pipe. Nothing fancy. The sweep said they were not supposed to reuse sections and that if the outer section of the pipe was dirty from the leak, that would all need to be replaced.

When you say open up the chase, does that imply removing the firestop, etc.? I am just trying to get a handle on if the estimate is in the correct ball park.

Get a couple more quotes. I can't see replacing all the pipe with the info provided, but maybe the outer jacket is sooted on the inside. Even if some got sooty you would think it could be pulled, cleaned and put back in.

Reactions: webby3650
Status
Not open for further replies.