Chimney pipe installation and proximity to roof peak question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

robertjp

Oct 7, 2008
Western NY
Im attempting to install a woodstove at our cottage and am trying to find out if there is a minimum distance from the roof peak the metal chimney it has to be? It is a metal roof. I read somewhere the chimney has to be 2-3 feet higher than the peak but Im confused if there is a minimum distance away from the peak. The manual shows 10 feet in a diagram but doesnt say if its a minimum. Im planning on using a double walled pipe. Thanks in advance. BP

P.S we dont have alot of options where we can located the stove inside the cottage since it is only 700 sq. ft so the chiminey position will tell alot.

The rule is 3' above the roofline where the chimney exits the roof and 2' higher than any object within ten feet. Picture taking a 10" marker stick and rotating it around the chimney. If it hits anything than the chimney is too short and the chimney needs to be 2' higher than what the stick would contact. Clear as mud?

Actually you can put it right through the peak if you wish. They even make special flashings for on-peak installations.

http://www.buildings.com/ArticleDetails/tabid/3321/ArticleID/5762/Default.aspx
http://www.4specs.com/s/07/07-6100.html

yhst-95622685483394_2180_211005575

ICC Excel makes a special "metal roof" flashing but this one doesn't go through the peak.

Worst case is to use the regular peak flashing and install it in a manner that drains properly. If I was going through the peak of a metal roof I would talk to metal roofing professionals.

The bottom line answer to your question is yes, you can go through the peak if you want.

ah........ok so does that mean if Im installing the pipe lets say 4 feet from the peak of the roof than the top of the pipe has to be 2 feet higher than the peak? For some reason I'm a dumb a..s on this one.

Yep, you got it.

chimny-height-diagram-sm.jpg

pen

That is correct but the chimney has to be at least 3 feet high overall. Usually unless you have a really shallow pitch roof, you will have the 3 foot minimum height after satisfying the "2 foot above the nearest roof-line within ten feet" rule.

If you go through the peak, you need 3 feet.

Don't forget to add in minimum chimney height. You don't want the overall distance from the exit point at your stove to the cap to be less than 12 feet.... higher is better.

so theres no minimum how close to the peak it can be as long as its the right height then? Thanks for the responses guys. Much appreciated.

That's correct. You can be right up the middle of the peak if you want. No rules there.

No.

Some installs actually cut out the eave around the chimney on an outside wall installation. I just installed mine inside very close to the wall... within spec.

All clearance requirements must be satisfied through combustibles per your instruction manual.

0008.jpg

0010.jpg

0031.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.