Chimney pipe installation

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

brucelon

Oct 24, 2010
High desert, New Mexico
Hi All -

I'm asking for some advice - I'm about ready to fire up my new woodstove for the first time. When I placed the double walled chimney pipe up into the support box, it just won't go the last 1/2 inch, no matter how hard I push and twist it upward.

Is the pipe supposed to be flush with the support box, and if so, will the 1/2" inch compromise my safety or the stove's performance in any way?

Thanks in advance, Bruce

Welcome Bruce. What brand pipe? Simpson need an adapter between the support box and the DVL pipe.

Hi BeGreen - Sorry so long responding - First, I had to get home yesterday to see what brand pipe I had, and secondly, this is my 3rd attempt to reply. Not sure what I've been doing wrong...

I used telescoping 6" Simpson pipe. To connect pipe to support box I used a 6"? "flange" ring that has a corrugated shape on both ends and a bulging ring as a center circumference. I'm sure this is the adapter you mentioned. One end of the adapter is shoved into the support box to the ring.

So restated, my question is: Does the interior chimney pipe have to be shoved all the way up to the bulging ring of the adapter for it to be installed correctly? I'm about a 1/2" shy of getting it up that high. It just won't budge further.

Thanks again, Bruce

There should be no gap. Make sure the adapter collar is locked in place. Here are the instructions from Simpson. (Also look in the DVL pipe box, there should be detailed instructions there).

"The DVL/DuraBlack Chimney Adapter slips into the opening in the Support Box or Finishing Collar. Align the tabs on the DVL/DuraBlack Chimney Adapter with the slots cut into the face of the Support Box or Finishing Collar, and push it in, and rotate to lock it in place."

Here's a shot from our greenhouse. This is what it should look like.

Attachments

• Simpson_supbox.jpg
    Simpson_supbox.jpg
    25.9 KB · Views: 265
Thanks again BeGreen -

I'm afraid my rig doesn't look like yours. I don't have the round adapter collar. I ordered everything from ventingdirect.com and asked them to send all that I needed.

I think I'm sending photos of what my setup looks like close-up, but I'm not sure I've figured out how to attach them in this format ("fast reply") - sorry.

Thanks. Bruce

Attachments

• pipeviewclose.jpg
    pipeviewclose.jpg
    18.7 KB · Views: 231
  • pipeview.jpg
    pipeview.jpg
    18.8 KB · Views: 232
brucelon said:
FWIW, I just found DV's website and emailed their customer svc. dept. the first photo above and asked them about it... B

Thanks Bruce. Please let us know how it works out. Good luck!

There was no "snapping" together. The connection was a pushing of two slightly tapered surfaces together to a snug fit. And yes, it's not dead-on vertical. Those things bug me, but installation guy said it's more than good enough. I'm not surprised that's his opinion...

brucelon said:
There was no "snapping" together. The connection was a pushing of two slightly tapered surfaces together to a snug fit. And yes, it's not dead-on vertical. Those things bug me, but installation guy said it's more than good enough. I'm not surprised that's his opinion...

see the attached photo, if the adapter they sold you doesn't have the lock tabs, then it isn't the correct part

the tabs lock both sides of the connector in tight

Attachments

• close clear.jpg
    close clear.jpg
    22 KB · Views: 214
Status
Not open for further replies.