Chimney pipe is through the wall.....but

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jstellfox

Jul 15, 2010
PA
due to the nature of my install (through a block NON-combustible wall with supervent pipe) we will not be using a thimble as it is optional for a non combustible wall with supervent. My horizontal section through the wall will be disconnected when I clean the flue so I don't want to mortar my chimney pipe to fill the small gap between my wall hole and the chimney pipe. Is there any type of fire proof insulation that can be used to fill the void around the pipe that I could just remove and re-install when I need to clean the flue? This is a wood stove application

Sorry to bump, but would really like some suggestions. I found some 1000 degree rated pipe wrap insulation that should work for chimney pipe. Double wall chimney pipe is supposed to be cool to the touch so i would assume that sticking some if this insulation around the horizontal piece through my block basement wall to seal any gaps would be ok? Anyone else put any kind of insulation around their stainless steel chimney pipe through the wall?

Is this 6" round pipe? If yes, maybe make a sleeve of 8" round stainless? Otherwise, it this is just draft prevention, I would think some kaowool would work ok.

Yes the pipe is 6" stainless steel double wall insulated chimney pipe. Where the pipe goes through the concrete block there is a 1/2" gap the whole way around the pipe that needs filled in so the outside air is not able to leak into my basement. I am just looking for options to fill in the gap around the pipe other than filling with mortar and hoped that I could just use some type of insulation to stuff in the gap...

1 reason for 2" clearance around class a is that the exterior insulated pipe has a zone which can overheat due to the constricted airspace. i'd insulate/plug on interior & exterior of wall & leave most of the pipe within the wall uninsulated, + add collars

fiberglass insulation doesn't burn, so is it safe to plug the gaps around the pipe with regular fiberglass insulation? And by plus I don't mean wrapping the entire horizontal pipe section, just plugging the gap between the pipe and wall on the inside and outside. Anyone care to chime in?

jstellfox said:
fiberglass insulation doesn't burn, so is it safe to plug the gaps around the pipe with regular fiberglass insulation? And by plus I don't mean wrapping the entire horizontal pipe section, just plugging the gap between the pipe and wall on the inside and outside. Anyone care to chime in?

That's what I would do. Take the Kraft facing off & jam it in from the inside
& outside & add trim collars RTV siliconed in place.
Our company has been insulating SS chimney liners & Class A thru masonry with fiberglass
for 33 years & we have not had one instance of a problem.
Fiberglass does not melt. It does not burn & it does not outgas at woodburning temperatures
Others in here will EMPHATICALLY disagree with the idea of doing this,
& I'm willing to bet NONE of them have the time in this industry that we do.
Use the fiberglass & you will be fine.

jstellfox said:
due to the nature of my install (through a block NON-combustible wall with supervent pipe) we will not be using a thimble as it is optional for a non combustible wall with supervent.

I'm planning to do something very similar in my house. But I need to go through a triple-brick wall. How did you make the round 8" hole?

I've heard that a core drill would do a nice job. But haven't found a local place that rents them yet.

well we started with a hammer drill and found out that getting a drill bit through terracotta block is not easy at all. It worked out better for us to chisel out the whole block. The pipe fits through the removed block hole and we are going to mortar around the pipe leaving a gap and then stuffing the gap with insulation...its the best we could come up with

Status
Not open for further replies.