Chimney pipe near electrical lines?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

veggiemama

May 10, 2023
Vermont
Ok… so we had a chimney guy come give us an estimate for installing a chimney pipe for a new to us wood stove. He was adamant it has to be 10 feet away from the electric line coming from the pole to our house. He was worried about if something happens it could arc current to the chimney pipe and travel down through the stove to possibly shock someone handling it. His reasoning sort of makes sense to me but I can’t find that sort of logic anywhere when I google clearance requirements… have others heard of this and is it correct?? It would mean we’d have to put the stove somewhere much harder to install. I should also add we already have a pellet vent pipe in that location, though not as high as a chimney would go. It is certainly within 10 feet though, which leaves me wondering if the professionals that installed that were wrong or if the new guy is, or if vent pipe is somehow different which wouldn’t make sense. Thank you!

That's a first for me. The possibility of an arc like that from a 240v service does not sound remotely plausible. I've seen gutters and plumbing vents within 3 ft of the service head. @fbelec, @gthomas785 have you heard anything like this?

Reactions: veggiemama
Is this a certified and licensed professional chimney sweep? If not, get another estimate.

He is… no codes in VT I know of, just following install requirements for insurance. Glad others haven’t heard this! Does this mean you think a through the wall chimney that passes within less then 5 feet is ok?? Meeting usual set back requirements. And if we decide to have a professional do it we will ask for another quote. Thank you!

He is… no codes in VT I know of, just following install requirements for insurance. Glad others haven’t heard this! Does this mean you think a through the wall chimney that passes within less then 5 feet is ok?? Meeting usual set back requirements. And if we decide to have a professional do it we will ask for another quote. Thank you!
5 ft is not too close, but many contractors are leery of working that close to a service strike. This is more out of concern that while they are up on a ladder their back is just 2-3 feet from the main wires while they are handling highly conductive metal pipes. That's a reasonable concern because accidents do happen. It's not a location to be careless. Some contractors will ask that the power company disconnect the service to the house at the pole while the work is being performed for this reason.

Is it necessary to go out the wall? Straight up through the roof not only performs and looks better, it can sometimes be less expensive.

Reactions: Hoytman
5 ft is not too close, but many contractors are leery of working that close to a service strike. This is more out of concern that while they are up on a ladder their back is just 2-3 feet from the main wires while they are handling highly conductive metal pipes. That's a reasonable concern because accidents do happen. It's not a location to be careless. Some contractors will ask that the power company disconnect the service to the house at the pole while the work is being performed for this reason.

Is it necessary to go out the wall? Straight up through the roof not only performs and looks better, it can sometimes be less expensive.
That makes a lot of sense, thank you! Yes, going up might be an option, but my husband is especially wary of cutting through roof… and that way would be more expensive if we hired help. This guy was just starting out on his own after working for another company for awhile and he must be really nervous… he didn’t like through the roof either without having a roofer come to make sure there wouldn’t be any leaks. We have done a lot of diy including an addition with a roof, but we had a leak there so I think our confidence is low too. 🤣

I hear you. I was nervous too when our chimney was installed through a 3 yr old roof. That was 17 yrs ago, not a drop leaked. A properly installed roof flashing will not leak. But many are not properly installed. It's a similar thing with skylights. Many are poorly installed giving them a poor reputation. FWIW, we also had a skylight installed when the new roof went on, no leaks.

Have a professional do it if concerned. It can be DIY if someone is thorough, asks questions in advance, and follows directions.

That makes a lot of sense, thank you! Yes, going up might be an option, but my husband is especially wary of cutting through roof… and that way would be more expensive if we hired help. This guy was just starting out on his own after working for another company for awhile and he must be really nervous… he didn’t like through the roof either without having a roofer come to make sure there wouldn’t be any leaks. We have done a lot of diy including an addition with a roof, but we had a leak there so I think our confidence is low too. 🤣

I would run away from this guy, he doesn't seem very confident and I certainly wouldn't want to be his guinea pig. Get another estimate.

I wouldn't give it a second thought at 5 feet

never heard of this either. at least in the electrical code. if it's not a building code then this guy doesn't want to work for you

Thank you all! I am very glad I double checked…
Good luck. Get a different installer and consider a rooftop exit if you find a good one with references.

He's probably referring to NESC clearances for open supply conductors above 750V (if he knows that code book). If he's near your 120/240V house service, he can be much closer than 10 feet. If he's really concerned, most power companies offer a service wrap that reduces clearance to zero for people like painters, siding contractors, etc.

If he's doing something like installing a liner that's 20 or so feet long, then I can see his concern about being too close to a primary line with that much metal pipe in hand. But clearance wise, as long as it's your supply line to the house, which is jacketed, it should be fine. 3' is usually the clearance to anything for a covered service conductor for anything on a house like gutters, windows & doors, etc.

Another thing I'd add - if the location he's doing the work violates doing chimney work, it already violates the clearances he's referencing anyway. Your local power company may have a standards diagram available for you to reference for what they want to see in regards to things being installed near service drops and such.