Chimney pipe question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Timnus

May 1, 2013
Central PA
Hey everyone,

I put in my Stainless Steel triple wall chimney recently and have a question about the twist lock connection. The pipe is Duraplus (made by Duravent). After I put in the pipe, I looked up through it and saw a small area on the first connection between the pipes where it flares out a bit. It looks like a crescent moon shape - the part that flares out occurs on the seam of the bottom pipe. (I posted a pic of it here) I assume the twist lock connection would keep things closed off and safe, but wanted to see what others thought about it. I went back and tried to loosen the connection a bit to see if I tightened "too much" but it looked just the same. So, is this "normal" or ok? I would say it only flares out about 1/8" - 3/16" at the middle of the crescent shape and the entire length of the flared out part is 3".

dsc01240-jpg.115972

Here is another photo with less reflection. You can see the small flare out on the left side of the photo - where the second pipe goes over the seam of the bottom pipe.

dsc01241-jpg.115973

Status
Not open for further replies.