Chimney pipe re-do

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

oldtrix

Dec 21, 2010
Southern CA
Replacing a wood stove that had an 8 inch flue with a new one having a 6 inch flue.

Discovered that the original 8 inch triple wall chimney pipe is not rated for a wood stove even though it has been used for that purpose for many years.

Not really wanting to have the expense and re-construction required to replace the pipe I'm wondering if I could simply push 6 inch double or single wall stove pipe the full length up into the old pipe.

Seems to me this would give the equivalent of 4 or 5 wall pipe.

Anything wrong with this idea?

How did you find out your triple wall pipe is not meant for wood burning? The quick answer to your question is, NO. Can you physically do it, yes. But I really can not suggest it, stove pipe is not meant to be used like that.

I wouldn't shove double or single wall up there, but I would consider an insulated liner.

SKINO52 asks: "How did you find out your triple wall pipe is not meant for wood burning?"

Answer: Bought a new wood stove to replace an old very poor quality "Franklin" style. Got the stove in place then started shopping for materials to connect its 6 inch flue to the existing 8 inch pipe in the ceiling box. Looked at the label on the existing 8 inch chimney pipe above the box and found it to be Amerivent type "FB". Have been told by vendors of vent supplies that the existing "FB" is not approved for wood stoves.

Now what to do???

A liner has been mentioned. Can anyone tell me more?

An insulated liner, or a new class A 6" chimney. If your stove is a new EPA certified stove that qualifies for the tax credit, you can get the rebate on the new chimney system. You also may want to contact your local hearth pro and have them give you advice/estimates on both options.

BeGreen said:
I wouldn't shove double or single wall up there, but I would consider an insulated liner.

Thanks BeGreen!

This is relevant to my pesterings about 6" versus 8" flues. I was pondering this, but restrained myself from asking. How hard do you think this would be to do? I suppose termination would be the issue.

OldTrix,

If you try this, could you post back to the forum, and share your experience? Thanks, and good luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.