Chimney pipe thru peak of roof

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 13, 2015
Central Wisconsin
Contemplating putting a second wood stove in my house with year or so, but the spot that it is wanted , going straight up with it will caught the pipe to go thru the peak of roof? Or is it needed to be offset in attic so not going thru peak?

Sent from my Moto Z Droid using Tapatalk

Typically you'd offset to miss the ridge. I think excel makes a ridge flashing though.

My opinion, having built two homes in the last 16 yrs, is that going through the ridge or peak of your roof is the easiest to flash and water proof. You can still do it effectively in other areas of your roof but it is easier in my opinion through the ridge.

ventis also has a ridge flashing available. If your house is built with trusses then going through the peak will be very easy because you dont have a ridge beam. If you have a ridge beam make sure you know how to restructure your roof.

Structurally not a good idea to split a ridge beam for a flue except for the previous post's advice.
If you're a DIY go offset to a standing ridge.
Still think that Selkirk is fine Mr. Holler. I'm sticking to that.:p

Still think that Selkirk is fine Mr. Holler. I'm sticking to that
Yes it is fine. But there is stuff out there that is better. And I choose to use the better stuff in my customers houses.

Reactions: webby3650
Thanks for the reply, I did take a look at the ridge flashings. Have a while yet just trying to come up with best plan

Sent from my Moto Z Droid using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.