Chimney Pipe

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

sgruver78

Nov 30, 2008
Southern NY
Ok so i am new but why does my OWB company require insulated stove pipe? Would just a double wall chimney pipe work as well? That pipe seems really pricey.

The insulated pipe helps maintain a warm stack (chimney) temperature because when your boiler goes in to idle mode and smoke is just barely coming out a cold chimney will act as a condenser and collect creosote and eventually plug the chimney. Double walled chimney is insulated to a degree especially compared to single wall but is no match for triple wall. The triple wall is a worthwhile investment even if it seems over priced. I have been using some of the same stack for 17 years and it is still serving me well.

Yes! There is usually an outer shell then a second shell with a layer of non flammable material then the inner wall/sleeve. The blanket of non flammable material insulates the second wall from the high heat of the inner wall and vice versa and the air space between the first wall and the second is a low quality insulation air barrier that helps cool the second wall but also helps keep the inner sleeve/wall from getting cold.

Status
Not open for further replies.