Chimney pipe

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

RSNovi

Feeling the Heat
May 12, 2010
Michigan
Hello All,

I am getting closer to having a Jotul stove installed. I have to admit that the fact that the chimney is more than the stove is quite surprising. The dealer is selling the 6" dia 48" long galvanized class A for just over $200 a section. I can order Simpson Dura-Vent 9407GA online for about $70 cheaper doing a quick search. This would be quite a savings on a 32 foot chimney. Is it safe to purchase this pipe online? I wonder if I could order the pipe and supply it to the dealer for intallation.

Also, would you go galvanized if you plan to box in the chimney some day?

Chris

The dealer markup covers his expenses, so it's up to him whether he would install with owner supplied pipe. It's good to support your local businesses, but if money is tight, then some online firms offer good value. NorthlineExpress.com and DynamiteBuys.com offer good prices and free shipping. Folks have reported good service from these companies. Galvanized should be fine, especially if it is going to be boxed in. Just be sure to honor the clearances of 2" away from the pipe for combustibles.

I agree in supporting the local business and I have been very satisfied with the level of effort the dealer has gone through to help me figure out what the best stove would be. I guess I felt a little bit that the mark-up might have been excessive.

Thanks for pointing me to some reputable online companies. I will talk to the dealer to see if they can help out on the pricing some.

Chris

Status
Not open for further replies.