chimney problem!!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

i3bpvh

Jul 24, 2009
MN
I'm getting ready to purchase my first wood insert this month, so I figured I'd go up and give the chimney a good sweep to clean it up for a new liner. When I started to sweep down the chimney I could see the a section of the clay liner wobbeling side to side as I swept. I'm guessing that this should not be happening, the section above it has no movement, nor the section below it from what I could see. The section is above the roof-line and incased in brick. Any Ideas what what to do??? thanks

had to run back up, so I figured I take a few pics

Attachments

• chimney1.JPG
    chimney1.JPG
    91.4 KB · Views: 344
  • chimney2.JPG
    chimney2.JPG
    67.7 KB · Views: 341
I would run insulated oval liner.If one tile is loose that means the refractory cement has fallen out at the joints.Other tiles are more then likely that other tiles are obout ready to go also.

the chimney is only 6 1/2 in wide, can you get a liner with insulation the thin?

OK, so it's not really a big problem since I was going to use a liner in the first place? whewww, I was sweatin there for a bit.

The only way to go in my opinion is to get somebody in there to break those tiles out and then install an insulated or poured in place liner. I know I sure won't put a liner in one of my chimneys when the clay tiles could fall apart and take it with them.

duraliner rigid oval liner. pre-insulated. done.

jtp10181 said:
duraliner rigid oval liner. pre-insulated. done.

Is there something specific about the duraliner that would make it better for this application?

It will fit, and its pre-insulated so it has 0" clearance to masonry, and your masonry has 0" clearance to combustibles.

Its a little more expensive though.

Ill go out on a limb here and say Ive never cemented the clay flue in a chimney ever , And never riped one down with any thing between the clay liner . The thing is the clay liner just sits one on top of the other . When the flue heats up it expands and gets taller . when it cools it shrinks up . The wobbley flue tile is at the point where the flue cools fastest . the bottom tile expands the most because of the heat .

That said i have a SS flue . John

jtp10181 said:
It will fit, and its pre-insulated so it has 0" clearance to masonry, and your masonry has 0" clearance to combustibles.

Just for my info, do most SS liners if insulated, either pre-insulated or the wrap, have a 0" clerance to combustibles?

jtp10181 said:

What he said

i3bpvh said:
jtp10181 said:

Just for my info, do most SS liners if insulated, either pre-insulated or the wrap, have a 0" clearance to combustibles?

The liner does not have 0" clearance to combustibles. The liner itself (with insulation) has 0" clearance to the masonry, and then masonry structure has 0" clearance to combustibles. Normally the masonry structure should have a 1" or 2" clearance to combustibles (many don't).

Yes this is how it works for all SS flex liners I have looked at. Without the insulation though there is no safety factor added.

Status
Not open for further replies.