Chimney Problem

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

lukem

Minister of Fire
Jan 12, 2010
Indiana
What a mess!

Here's my setup: old smoke dragon BKK installed in the basement, DSP to the wall, thru the wall and up with SS Class A.

I was out in the yard for the first time in a while over the weekend...I've been either gone or getting home after dark every day for a while. As I'm walking around I look up at the chimney cap and am horrified to find creo-sicles all over it and the storm collar, flashing, and part of the roof covered in black and brown goo. I grab the ladder, climb the roof, and try to pull of the cap....it is stuck on with creosote. WTF is going on here? I try again and notice the chimney is moving - a lot - at a below joint.

Since I can't get the CAP off I decide to remove the two 3' sections of class A below the cap (starting where the chimney was now freely moving). I look down the pipe and see a touch of powdery ash and a little creosote had accumulated since I cleaned the chimney 3 weeks ago (pretty good considering the stove). I look up the now removed pipe and it is laden with shiny hard creosote about 1/8" thick at the top.

Definitely had a leak at that joint that was drawing air in and causing the gasses to cool and form creosote. I either disrupted it with that last cleaning or the strong winds we had earlier in the week did.

I ended up taking it all apart with feet firmly on the ground and re-assembled after a good cleaning, which was a job in and of itself. As a secondary precaution I inspected all of the joints and re-tightened all of the locking bands.

I'm glad I found the issue and was able to correct it, but am upset/disappointed that I had it in the first place.

You have that from time to time. I noticed some creosote buildup on my cap as well. My problem this year so far has been the fact that my wood is not nearly as seasoned as it should be due to excessive rain we've had all spring summer and fall here in central pennsylvania. So I've been having to clean it with a slightly higher frequency than normal. Make sure your joints are all tight on your class a pipe. Hey we all know how those old smoke dragons like to make creosote! ;-p

Creo-sicles ! We've got to get that in the "Glossary of hearth terms"

Hey Lukem, sounds like you handled the problem good. I like your term Creo-sicles also.

Status
Not open for further replies.