Q&A Chimney problems

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

QandA

Staff member
Nov 27, 2012
Question:

I have two questions.

The first is that my chimney nipple is closer than 18 " from a wood/dry-wall wall. In one direction I don't have room for a full 3 1/2" brick plus the 1" air space. Should I use a half brick or should I use a steel plate or masonry tile as a hear barrier (on a 1" standoff)?

Second, should I use two 90 degree bends and a horizontal pipe to go from the wood stove to the chimney or should I try to use two 45 degree bends and an angled pipe?

Answer:

Wall connections and pass-throughs are one of the most critical parts of an installation. You did not mention if the problem is where you go thru the wall, or the connector previous to that.

Either way, here's the solutions:
1. The wall crock can be replaced by a sections of double insulated chimney, with the required airspace around it (Check NFPA 211 or the manufacturer).
2. The chimney connector can be a special double wall interior pipe ( two walls with airspace) which usually requires a 6" clearance.

As far as the angle of the connection pipe, the less bends, the better..and yes, 45 degree bends are better than 90 degree.

https://www.hearth.com/what/passing.html

Link: Passing Through a Wall

Status
Not open for further replies.