Chimney Question for New Construction

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Prof

Minister of Fire
Oct 18, 2011
Western PA
I'm about to start the construction process for a 1600 sq ft cape cod in Western PA. I'm acting as my own general contractor, but subing out much of the work. I have a question about the chimney. We are going to have a masonry heater on the 1st floor and a wood stove in the basement (will eventually be a finished family room). I'm going to run 2 class A chimneys up a chase (we will observe a 2+ inch clearances within the chase). The masonry heater will be an 8 inch and the wood stove will have a 6 inch. My question is this: I've read that the chimneys should be offset at the top. I've seen 4 in and 9 in offsets in different places. Does anyone know if there is anything in the building code about this? Any guidance would be much appreciated. I've attached a couple of rough floor plans (the architectural drawings are too large to upload).
1st Floor.png 2nd Floor alt.png

Last edited by a moderator:
I usually stagger the 2 flues by a foot not including the cap. Will you need to offset with elbows? Or are is there enough space between the 2 already? You need 10"-12" between the them.

There should be enough space between them to avoid elbows.

There should be enough space between them to avoid elbows.
Just make the upstairs flue taller by a foot or so. The basement flue is most likely to pull smoke down when not in use. But since it's a masonry heater, it's unlikely it will give you troubles.
That's the beauty of using class A, if there is an issue it's easy to add a section to it.

We rarely see issues with 2 flues side by side but it absolutely can happen. like webby said class a is very forgiving you can always add a section.

Is this staggering about downdrafting smoke down a cold flue, because that's what my issue has been. I would have the most used flue be the highest and upwind of the usual prevailing winds. For me, I have an oil flue in the same chase and also put on an automatic damper to help. I think this arrangement has helped, some. Not sure if this is optimum from an aesthetics point of view, or whatever, but here's my chase:

Edit: And there were sections added. :)

Attachments

• IMGP3444.JPG
    IMGP3444.JPG
    39.4 KB · Views: 159
Status
Not open for further replies.