Chimney Question For New Stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

RoosterBoy

Jul 5, 2006
CT
hay guys i have a Vermont casting stove right now that uses a 8 inch chimney straight up free standing wood stove no bends

the new stove i am getting is a Avalon and it has a 6 inch opening can i use six inch black pipe till it hits the ceiling and then use a reducer so it it go's into the 8 inch class a chimney all ready installed.

id like to take it out and use 6 inch's all the way up but money is tight this year I'm spending it on more wood and buying a new stove.

whats the down side to using a reducer on the chimney

thanks
Jason

If it is an all interior location to the roof line 6" to 8'' is code compliant. The issue is draft, Can a stove producing draft out of a 6" flue collar, sufficiently heat the 8" pipe area to promote decent draft? Quite possible for the interior chimney location. However I would not remove much or the Class A 8" pipe, to run a longer single wall 6" connector pipe. The class A will still hold more heat in to promote better draft than single wall. (My oppinion not code)

thanks guys i just want the stove to run efficient. it is running up into my attic and out the roof.

i will run five feet of single wall pipe till it reaches the celling then it will have a reducer that will go to 8" directly into my class a. i just want to get away with it this year and next year i will have it all 6 inch.

think i will have any problems. the total chimney height is 13 ft from the stove to the top of the cap

thanks
Jason

You could have problems, yes. thats not a very tall chimney and the volume wont help. But you got to do what you got to do. you might have to put up with hard starts and backpuffing, if that happens then you know what you have to change. I would say on a 13' 8" chimney you will likely have problems on a 6" high efficiency epa stove. Any amount of negative pressure will compound the problem.

Yeah I have to agree with all that's been said so far. But as far as this year goes, like elk said, it's code compliant and it will probably work "ok" but the possibilty of hard starts or difficulty burning in warmer temperatures is possible.

Status
Not open for further replies.