chimney question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

esox

Dec 9, 2011
NE PA
I have a cabin with a small size and older Vermont castings wood stove. Not sure of the model but is basically a somewhat square box with a baffle and takes wood around 12 in comfortably. Heats well and will hold coals for about 8 hours. Good seasoned oak.
The stove outlet is 6in, goes through the wall at 6in and goes into a 8x13 chimney. That I find to be equal to 9in round by researching. The previous owner dropped a 7in round pipe to the base inside the liner and has a flange on the outside of the 7in pipe to cover the opening between the pipe and the liner around the pipe at the top.
The smoke is escaping under the flange around the outside of the pipe due to needing to be resealed and is making a mess of the new stucco job we did a couple years ago on the exterior of the chimney block.
My question is should I just reseal the flange around the pipe or get rid of the pipe completely and let the stove draft through the 8x13 liner and put on a new 8x13 chimney cap? I'm afraid going from a 6in stove into a 9in liner might not work and I'm still at that point going to have a cold chimney at the top with the creosote running out anyway.
I realize the correct way to do this would be to install a 6in liner to the stove but don't want to spend the money unless I have to. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks, Dave

Are you saying that the dripping is coming from the top? where the pipe goes through the plate there?
Yes around the top. The pipe is installed inside the 8x13 terracotta liner and some of the smoke is exiting on the outside of the pipe but inside the 8x13. There is a flange around the pipe covering the opening of the 8x13 which was sealed with silicone but it dried out. I'm saying I can reseal the flange and continue using it as is which was working but is kind of half baked or I can simplify it and get rid of the inside pipe all together and just use the 8x13 as is. Do you think the stove will work properly using a 6in stove exit into a 8x13 chimney? I'm wondering if I do that and put an 8x13 cap on the top it might be cooling down too much at the top because of the big chimney and I'm going to end up with a mess up there anyway. Thanks for the reply.

6 inch liner is the answer, and if you're getting creosote and liquid running down how well seasoned is that wood? Sounds like the recipe for a chimney fire.

Status
Not open for further replies.