Chimney question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

buildingmaint

Feeling the Heat
Jan 19, 2007
Oil City PA
I'm planing on installing a Englander wood stove in my basement this spring. Where I had wanted to run a stainless chimney won't work on a up and out and up because there is a window in the way. Is it ok to have about a 2 foot off set in a stainless chimney ? If not it will require a lot of extra work [ knocking a hole in my basement wall ].

So you want to go up then 90 and out the wall the a Tee and up to the roof line? And you also want to put a set of 15 or 30 deg elbows in there to get around a window?

How much pipe it going to be outside? And how much vertical pipe will the total system be. How much total horizontal?

If you're going to use 30 degree elbows, make sure you can get them easily. 15's are everywhere around here. I'm waiting 3 weeks for a pair of 30's.

-SF

I don't know about using elbows , could /might work , I don't know . Any way here is my plan ---- Up off stove 38" -- out through wall 24 "--- UP 24" --- shift 30" with an off set. ---Then up probably 12 ' . Total outside pipe 18 ' . Total inside pipe 62" .

You might find that going through the basement wall is easier than you think. (my brother did that on a Sunday afternoon). And, you might also find that going up through the house is actually harder.
My vote would be for the out and up solution, right through the basement wall and up.

WHOOPS I didn't mean to give the impression I was going through the inside of my house. No my up and out , out = outside .I just looked and I guess I could punch a hole through the basement wall . It just would of been easier to remove the old window and cement up the hole , leaving room for a piece of pipe. Where there is a will , there is a way.

Status
Not open for further replies.