Chimney question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jjstarbuckle

Sep 21, 2014
West virgina
I got an englander 13 and my ss chimney is just at 14ft the man says 15ft min. Was wondering if the extra foot would make that big of a diff I can't add three feet it would be 10ft sticking out of the roof. But if the one foot will make a diff I can add 18in on what you think? Thx

is that 14 feet of chimney or 14 feet from the stove?

It needs to be fifteen feet, from the floor the stove is sitting on to the sky. If you have fourteen feet of chimney pipe you are good to go.

Might be all right if the chimney portion is 14 ft. How is the stove connected? How much pipe and how many elbows?

BB it's 14ft from the floor. The man says 15ft from the floor to top of chimney. The stove is little over 2ft tall so I got around 11-12 ft of actual pipe I'd say. And it's straight out the ceiling no elbows

Not good. But it is what it is. I would burn in it as is and see how it goes and add the 18" if you have a draft problem. Chimneys aren't an exact science. That is just what they were tested with.

Now if you are on top of a mountain in "West By God" then you are gonna have a problem because of altitude.

Haha I am in west by god virginia but not on a mountain or anything I'm in the western part by parkersburg wv. Is there anything to improve draft?

Only thing that drives draft is pipe size and height. Burn a few in it and see how it goes. If it doesn't draft well then add the piece of pipe. I am big on not solving problems you don't have yet.

Reactions: bholler
I'm with you on not fixing if not need be. I had a little fire the other night it was 46 out side and I burnt some pallet wood and when shut the door the fire died down some but it wasn't a big fire when it gets cold like that again I'll try it but go bigger see what happens

Status
Not open for further replies.