Chimney question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

kurimski

Jan 17, 2015
Iowa
I just had my chimney cleaned and inspected for my wood stove. he said the chimney itself is good to go, but the top needs replaced. I have had a problem with it dripping from rain or even a lot of snow this last year. I'm still a beginner and haven't ever been the best guy at fixing things so I was wondering if you guys would take a look at the pictures and let me know what you think. Does the top need replaced? I just want to be sure money is being spent wisely and I'm not getting ripped off. Thanks for any help!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    593 KB · Views: 129
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    738.8 KB · Views: 128
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    868.2 KB · Views: 148
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    808.2 KB · Views: 136
I just had my chimney cleaned and inspected for my wood stove. he said the chimney itself is good to go, but the top needs replaced. I have had a problem with it dripping from rain or even a lot of snow this last year. I'm still a beginner and haven't ever been the best guy at fixing things so I was wondering if you guys would take a look at the pictures and let me know what you think. Does the top need replaced? I just want to be sure money is being spent wisely and I'm not getting ripped off. Thanks for any help!
Attached Files:
Yes no doubt you needa chase cover. And no dont just use flashing get a stainless one made and be done with it

For the record I'm not a pro. bholler is so trust what he says.
Thanks wisneaky flashing will work for a few years but i don't think it is worth doing. Galvanized will last quite a while but i feel stainless is without a doubt the way to go.

Reactions: Wisneaky
Thanks wisneaky flashing will work for a few years but i don't think it is worth doing. Galvanized will last quite a while but i feel stainless is without a doubt the way to go.
I think the op might be concerned with the cost to fix it. I wouldn't think it would cost much. What do you think?

I think the op might be concerned with the cost to fix it. I wouldn't think it would cost much. What do you think?
A stainless chase cover will be 3 to 5 hundered. galvanized 2 to 4. And flashing would be cheap

This definitely helps! He quoted me at $375 to take care of it. I'm not worried about the price I just wanted to be sure he wasn't trying to get one over on me. I will let him know I'd like it to be taken care of. I'd rather it be fixed and not have to worry about it.

This definitely helps! He quoted me at $375 to take care of it. I'm not worried about the price I just wanted to be sure he wasn't trying to get one over on me. I will let him know I'd like it to be taken care of. I'd rather it be fixed and not have to worry about it.
as long as he is putting stainless up there 375 sounds fair

Status
Not open for further replies.