Chimney question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

SamC

Mar 29, 2008
Vermont
My spring project is redoing our chimney my question is does the Selkirk chimney product that Lowes sells come in 8" or just 6"? thanks for any help.

Yea, Selkirk makes 8", but I dont know if Lowes stocks it. It would make sense too.

You might do much better to find some distributors of Selkirk - like a local plumbing and heating supply, many of whom sell to the public over the counter. Even some wood stove shops will give good discounts to DIYers.

Reasons being - speaking from my experience - our shop and the local PH stocked pretty large amount of this stuff - LOTS of fittings and pipe in both sizes. Lowes is likely to work on a Just in Time or seasonable basis, and therefore not have the inventory at all time...like when you need just one more fitting or piece to complete.

I used the SuperVent from Lowe's/Mendard's. It's a pretty good product. I was happy with it, but...

Just to warn you, Sam, the Selkirk SuperVent line that Lowe's sells is ONLY available in the US from Lowes and Menards.

If you end up needing parts, those are your only options and they may have to speical order parts (usually with a 3 week turn around).

The Selkirk Metalbestos and SuperPro lines are more readily available in the US (but these parts can't be intermixed with SuperVent without voiding warranties).

Also, the Simpson Duravent product is sold by more dealers as well.

-SF

Thanks for all the replies I appreciate it. I will check Lowes and some local shops this week. It is an easy project as far as chimneys go. only about 6 feet from attic cieling to roof and it is dead straight so no bends required, stove sits directly below. Ya I prefer not to wait 3 weeks for each part so I will check some other stores, thanks again

Status
Not open for further replies.