Chimney question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I understand that i just thought i would let you know

since i am a wood stove noob. i have a 400 sq kitchen concrete slab with tile. then next to it a family room still a slab. the stair way to my up stairs is in the kitchen would you recommend putting the stove in the kitchen or in the room next to it? which is about 275 sq. and thats next to a garage. how toasty would it get in the kitchen without being uncomfortable? or would it be ok..

looking for some opinions on this

since i am a wood stove noob. i have a 400 sq kitchen concrete slab with tile. then next to it a family room still a slab. the stair way to my up stairs is in the kitchen would you recommend putting the stove in the kitchen or in the room next to it? which is about 275 sq. and thats next to a garage. how toasty would it get in the kitchen without being uncomfortable? or would it be ok..

I think i would probably go with the other room not the kitchen myself. But without seeing it it is hard to say

I think i would probably go with the other room not the kitchen myself. But without seeing it it is hard to say

i can post some pictures later. but then comes the issue with venting i would actually have to go through wall into garage. then through wall again to the outside on the side of the house. is that even possible or up to code?

i can post some pictures later. but then comes the issue with venting i would actually have to go through wall into garage. then through wall again to the outside on the side of the house. is that even possible or up to code?
Would it be possible to go straight up in either location? It would be cheaper more direct and would keep the temps up better.

Our chimney goes up through a chase in a bedroom closet. The chimney can also be chased (boxed in) in the room interior.

the pipe will come up about 1ft away from the ridge.

What's the pitch?
i would assume standard maybe 26?

The pitch is determined by the rise over the run where the run would be 12".
26 makes no sense unless you mean it is 2/6 which would be the same as a 4/12.
I kinda doubt this, tho, since most building codes don't allow less than a 5/12 for
heated residences in the Northeast, because of snowload.
Then again, you don't indicate where you're from, so I can't be sure of that.

What's the pitch?
The pitch is determined by the rise over the run where the run would be 12".
26 makes no sense unless you mean it is 2/6 which would be the same as a 4/12.
I kinda doubt this, tho, since most building codes don't allow less than a 5/12 for
heated residences in the Northeast, because of snowload.
Then again, you don't indicate where you're from, so I can't be sure of that.
ok i am going to post some pics of the best possible locations to put the stove. as i am going through wall. i wanted to put the stove originally here but i am not sure if its going to get to hot in the kitchen area so the first location is the first picture i m going to post its going be in place of the old kerosene monitor i have

if i didnt put it there i was going to put it in the family room next to the kitchen with the exercise equipment out of course. but i would have to go through wall into garage. then again through wall to outside which doesnt seem ideal but it might be a better place for the stove i am really torn on the placement of the stove at this point. i live in the Poconos of PA so it gets pretty cold here
20160413_190712.jpg 20160413_190725.jpg 20160413_184911.jpg

Running the pipe from the family room, across the garage and then up would not work. Horizontal runs need to be kept as short as possible.

I have a standard cape style house. My kitchen/dining room/living room is all open and about 500-600 square feet total. My stove is in the back corner of the dining room and with it really cranking that area will be around 72-74 degrees which is more than warm enough for me. The upstairs gets plenty warm as well, I usually leave my bedroom door only open around 6 inches to keep it cooler.

I have a standard cape style house. My kitchen/dining room/living room is all open and about 500-600 square feet total. My stove is in the back corner of the dining room and with it really cranking that area will be around 72-74 degrees which is more than warm enough for me. The upstairs gets plenty warm as well, I usually leave my bedroom door only open around 6 inches to keep it cooler.

my down stairs is almost 1000 combined although i am not counting the garage bc i am not keeping that open. then my upstairs is probably almost the same. so i am hoping this thing will keep the whole house warm

my down stairs is almost 1000 combined although i am not counting the garage bc i am not keeping that open. then my upstairs is probably almost the same. so i am hoping this thing will keep the whole house warm
You should have no problem. My total first floor is around 1000 and the second floor is around 600 and my stove is more than enough. Your stove is a third bigger than what I'm using as well.

Not really. The chimney is infrastructure. It must be safe and properly functional. The stove is arbitrary with a wide range of choices depending on the installation requirements and budget. This is somewhat like a roof being essential and what you put under it being of much less importance.

FWIW, going straight up with a chimney is often less expensive.

Not really. The chimney is infrastructure. It must be safe and properly functional. The stove is arbitrary with a wide range of choices depending on the installation requirements and budget. This is somewhat like a roof being essential and what you put under it being of much less importance.

FWIW, going straight up with a chimney is often less expensive.

no one is downgrading the idea of the chimney being of importance but if you don't think spending thousands on round metal isnt high way robbery than that's on you. i went out and bought the proper through wall piping and will do a job that exceeds code. but i didn't like the idea of companies taking advantage of people because they know the piping is essential .

Cost depends on the installation requirements and the quality of pipe chosen. Olympia and Excel are premium stove pipe. The same job in Selkirk's value line from Menards would be a lot less. A basic single story install could be as little as $700 in pipe and fittings. It's unclear whether ChimneySmoke's installation included labor or not.

Cost depends on the installation requirements and the quality of pipe chosen. Olympia and Excel are premium stove pipe. The same job in Selkirk's value line from Menards would be a lot less. A basic single story install could be as little as $700 in pipe and fittings.

well i went with the stainless steel triple wall 6" pipe again i know some recommended some other better quality piping. like some of the double wall black pipe. but with the through wall kit and over 20ft of ss piping it cost me about 750. not including the inside stove pipe yet

Cost depends on the installation requirements and the quality of pipe chosen. Olympia and Excel are premium stove pipe. The same job in Selkirk's value line from Menards would be a lot less. A basic single story install could be as little as $700 in pipe and fittings. It's unclear whether ChimneySmoke's installation included labor or not.

I think the parts were right around $2000 and I paid $500 for chimney installation and moving my stove up from the basement. Through the wall definitely adds more, I think just my T was around $400.

Sounds like you have invested in a first class chimney system. It should be good for decades.

Status
Not open for further replies.