Chimney Question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ajthatch

May 28, 2006
Iowa
I have an outdoor insulated stainless steel 6” chimney (not enclosed). The chimney is 20 years old and has developed some small rust holes through the outer stainless steel. My understanding was that stainless steel doesn’t rust unless it has been damaged, but this is definitely rust (I was able to push a small nail through several of the rust spots). I don’t feel safe using the wood burner with this chimney so I plan to replace it.

I need to check with my local building department, but I assume I could do this myself (then again, maybe you need to be licensed?). I’ve seen several manufacturers list Class A Stainless Insulated 2500 degree Chimneys. I believe this could be replaced for under $1000 if done myself (It’s currently a straight shot up using five 3’ sections). One thing I’m not sure of is how easily the old chimney will come apart. It appears that the sections are of the twist-lock type, but if there’s rust inside as well this might be more difficult than I think. Does anyone have recommendations regarding this?

Thanks,

Al

We took down a 23 year old chimney recently and the twist sections weren't much of a problem. This was a metalbestos chimney though, so it might be different brand to brand, although the chimney's i've had experience installed or removing (simpson, metalbestos and metal-fab) all are of the twist together type.

As far as being licensed, I'm not really sure, but there is someone on-call who will have the answer you need.

Typically you do not have to have a license to install chimney. Check with your local inspectors office I'm sure you'll have to pull a permit though. The chimney shouldnt be too hard to disassemble.

Most states have a home owner exemption meaning, the homeowner can do his own work but it still needs to be permitted and inspected. 20 years can be the life expectancy of metal chimneys even ss. Remember a lot of heat has passed threw it over time. Mixed with water and sulfur H2so4 will eat ss There are two type of Class A HT 2100 Chimneys. Cheaper using a dead air space as the insulation or better more expensive Solid pack filled with insulation. ( holds heat in better and will draft better) my recomendation

Ever see those adjustiable strap type wrenches two of them will help twist and unlock the joints. It will make assembly and diss- assembly much easier

Status
Not open for further replies.