Chimney Question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Trey

Jul 5, 2009
NW Tennessee
I have a 8 year old Vermont Castings ZC fireplace with 8 inch air cooled chimey. I am getting ready to replace it with a Lennox Brentwood which uses a 6 inch chimney. MY question is can I fish some 6inch stainless flexpipe chimney down the 8 inch aircooled chimney? This would be much cheaper than doing a complete replacement of the 8inch with 6inch.

Yes, you can reline with satinless flex, but youwill have to wrap it with an insulated blanket-for the entire length...
as the air-cooled pipe you currently have in there is not rated for the woodstove temperatures.
If the liner exits the 8" venting at any point bfore it enters your new unit,
you will have to ensure that any exposed chimney meets the clearance to combustibles - 18",
unless you can saafely insulate that as well...
Check your local building codes for a definitive answer, as they are the AHJ - Authority Having Jurisdiction.

I got a closer look at the chimney and it is a Heatilator sl400. I have been unable to locate its rating on line. Is anyone out there familiar with this chimney?

Maybe I am confused.
The Brentwood requires a UL rated 6 inch air cooled chimney.
I have an existing UL rated 10 inch air cooled Chimney. I mistakenly previously stated it at 8 inch
Seems the existing 10 inch Chimney would be rated to handle the Brentwood with the only problem being the Diameter

I am looking at the spec sheet that I have on the Vermont castings 2050 zc fireplace . It is from 1997 and states it require a UL rated 10 inch Air cooled Chimney. Have there been changes in the chimney ratings that would make this chimney different from a current 10 inch air cooled today. If not it would seem to me that I could use flex liner down this chimney knowing that 10 inch is rated to handle what the 6 inch Chimney of the brentwood need.
I figured all I needed to do was get the diameter of the chimney down to the one the Brentwood needed.
So Instead of a straight air cooled chimney 6 inch chimney I would be using a 6 inch flex inside a 10 inch air cooled chimney. Basically a triple walled airecooled chimney.

Seems like adding the insulation would be overkill and not needed.
It would be nice if this would work out as it wll save me about 1K.

NO, the Brentwood uses proprietary pipe. you CAN Not connect other chimney to it, please consult the manual
let me know if you need a manual

from page 21
The Security fireplace model BRENTWOOD is listed only with Security Chimneys
International Ltd 6" diameter chimney systems.

Status
Not open for further replies.