chimney question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

dwerley

Feb 6, 2010
Pittsburgh
I am thinking about a wood stove or pellet stove as a supplemental heat source and was wondering if my old furnace flue could be used for the chimney. I know that I will have to have it inspected but justed wanted to know if I could proceed with research or am I just wasting time.

Inspection is the only way to tell. The physical size of the chimney could make or break it also. Too large or too tall a chimney could force you to use a liner.

Matt

Interior chimney 8/8 or 8/12 tile will work fine w/ stove w/ 6" or 8" flue outlet. Exterior, 8/8 is the biggest burning wood if your worried about creosote buildup or lack of draft.

You really need to describe your furnace flue better. My furnace flue is a PVC pipe.

Furnace and stove vented into the same flue??

Status
Not open for further replies.