chimney questions

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

zabman

Dec 10, 2008
NW Ohio
hello. i am quite new to the whole wood burning thing. i have been reading on this site for a few nights now and have learned quite a bit from making sure that the wood is dry, storage of wood to stove temps. anyway my situation...

i have acquired a free, used, wood stove about two years ago. pays to be affiliated with a home remodeling construction crew. anyway, it is an old blaze king KEJ from back in '83. the flue opening is 8" on the top of the stove. we have been pricing up the flue and have noticed that the 8" double wall is more expensive than the 6" double wall. i was wondering if it ok to reduce the size of the 8" to 6" to save some money. the flue has to go up out of the stove, elbow threw the block wall underground and up the side of the house 24 feet. i have asked a few wood stove/fireplace dealers in the area and some say it is ok to reduce it right off the stove and others say it is not ok and keep it 8" all the way up. any and all advice on the topic is appreciated.

Most stove manufacturers say it's okay to go bigger, but not smaller. No specific knowledge of the blaze king. However, most heating appliances, be they wood, oil, pellet, natural gas, or cow flaps, are built to produce a maximum BTU level. That level calls for a flu of a specific size. Can't make good heat or burn efficiently if it can't exhaust the waste.

hey thanks guys. i was under the impression (being an engine guy) that smaller pipe, higher velosity, less creosote, stuff like that. glad i asked and thanks for the replies

Status
Not open for further replies.