1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

chimney quick question

Post in 'The Hearth Room - Wood Stoves and Fireplaces' started by joshuaviktor, Feb 2, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. joshuaviktor

joshuaviktor New Member

Loc:
    Northwest New Jersey
    Assuming good pipe (double wall stainless steel), does it matter what size you have in the chimney? In other words, if I have 8 inch pipe, and buy a stove with a 6 inch flue exit, is that ok? How about 6 inch pipe, with 8 inch stove outlet? Anything I'm not thinking of?

Thanks. Trying to buy a stove with a 6 inch, and some 8 inch pipe. Want to make sure its not a problem. Curious about the vice versa, though.

Joshua

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. Rob From Wisconsin

Rob From Wisconsin Minister of Fire

Loc:
    East-Central Wisconsin
    You can always go larger (within reason),
    but you probably will sacrifice draft somewhat
    (reduced flue velocity). It is against code to
    reduce the flue size relative to what is coming
    out of the stove.
    As a general rule, if you can, match the size
    of the stove's outlet....

Rob
  3. Shane

Shane Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Casper Wyoming
    You should be fine going from 6"-8" it is quite a jump in cross sectional area but not quite 2 times. Never go 8-6 99% of the time after doing this the stove will not draft properly.
  4. joshuaviktor

joshuaviktor New Member

Loc:
    Northwest New Jersey
    ebay chimney auction

Is this type of chimney all I need to line my masonry chimney? I need block off plates at top and bottom, yes. I need furnace cement to cement plates in place, yes. But can a 400 dollar liner do it for me?

Joshua
  5. elkimmeg

elkimmeg Guest

Josh drop me a pm and explain what you are trying to accomplish. Colectively we should be able to figure out a solution
    For more feed back narrow down the scope and present it to the forum for further advice
  6. Shane

Shane Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Casper Wyoming
    You need to find out what brand it is. Then go in your attic and see if the brick chase comes in contact with any framing. If it does you will probably need to put an insulation kit on it for it to be "zero clearance".

Elk,
    Nice to see you back!
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.