chimney quick question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

joshuaviktor

Dec 19, 2005
Northwest New Jersey
Assuming good pipe (double wall stainless steel), does it matter what size you have in the chimney? In other words, if I have 8 inch pipe, and buy a stove with a 6 inch flue exit, is that ok? How about 6 inch pipe, with 8 inch stove outlet? Anything I'm not thinking of?

Thanks. Trying to buy a stove with a 6 inch, and some 8 inch pipe. Want to make sure its not a problem. Curious about the vice versa, though.

Joshua

You can always go larger (within reason),
but you probably will sacrifice draft somewhat
(reduced flue velocity). It is against code to
reduce the flue size relative to what is coming
out of the stove.
As a general rule, if you can, match the size
of the stove's outlet....

Rob

You should be fine going from 6"-8" it is quite a jump in cross sectional area but not quite 2 times. Never go 8-6 99% of the time after doing this the stove will not draft properly.

ebay chimney auction

Is this type of chimney all I need to line my masonry chimney? I need block off plates at top and bottom, yes. I need furnace cement to cement plates in place, yes. But can a 400 dollar liner do it for me?

Joshua

Josh drop me a pm and explain what you are trying to accomplish. Colectively we should be able to figure out a solution
For more feed back narrow down the scope and present it to the forum for further advice

You need to find out what brand it is. Then go in your attic and see if the brick chase comes in contact with any framing. If it does you will probably need to put an insulation kit on it for it to be "zero clearance".

Elk,
Nice to see you back!

Status
Not open for further replies.