Chimney Remodel........

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

DamienBricka

Feeling the Heat
Nov 3, 2013
Pittsburgh, Pa
As several of you already know I had some draft issues in my chimney due to a incorrect installation in 2008.
I have decided to share my remodeling progress with the forum.

First order of business reinstall the T-snout with a downward angle. I could not change the angle as the snout was touching the brick. So I had to removing the bricks and mortar around the snout by doing so I damaged the snout so I decided to replace it. This is when it got interesting. I noticed that I had installed very little insulation around the stainless steel flue. I had Kaowool on hand so I stuffed all I could around the flue. I reinstalled a new snout with a downward pitch of 1/4" per foot.

I probably did a no no. I decided to make a small fire. I HAD NO PROBLEM STARTING THE FIRE. I was so excited.

Tonight I will mortar the thimble in. And take it one day at a time.

Reactions: ddddddden
Smoke wants to go uphill. That can make all the difference. Don't forget the 3 screws per pipe joint.

Status
Not open for further replies.